1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Survivor: Worlds Apart

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

This is not the brightest group, but the season has been pretty interesting.
    I'm glad Shirin stuck it to Will.
    I don't blame Will for being angry when he heard that people were questioning his gesture to share the food, but he crossed the line based on what they showed.
    And his explanation for wanting to skip the challenge was lame. Family means more than money?
    You didn't get sent away, dude. You volunteered to go away for a month and play a game. That was a choice, and reading some letters doesn't change that decision.

bigpern23 and MTM like this.
  2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Of course, I'm also a heartless SoB. I could be away from home for a month no problem.
    Maybe it would be different if we had children, but I suspect I'd be alright emotionally.

3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Thanks Buck, I've always felt the same. They signed up for a reality show, they weren't sent overseas by the military or forced into a job transfer, so stop all the whining.
    I hate the "my dad's sick" or " my wife is pregnant." Then keep your ass home instead of chasing 15 minutes of fame.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Agreed 100%.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Last night's episode was shaping up as pretty boring until the immunity challenge and tribal council. The immunity challenge had some drama as a Mike and Shirin were both among the last to contend for immunity. Shirin performed better than I expected.

Tribal was awesome because Mike made an excellent play. It ultimately failed, but it was exciting and it maybe gave him a little hope in the game. As they were going to tribal, I said to my wife that Mike's best hope might be to reveal he has the idol, tell everyone he's going to play it for Shirin, and then not use it, hoping the others would vote for Tyler. He played it even better than I expected when he said Shirin was going to vote for Tyler and he was going to vote for someone else, without naming who it was. The idea of creating a "Survivor Russian Roulette" was a brilliant tactic, and it almost worked.

It would have been hard to be in the strong six and not think about that the fact that there's a 1-in-5 chance Mike writes down your name.

I think he was smart not to play the idol for Shirin because he now still has that additional cushion in his pocket, and it gives him some power in the game. He also got two people to write down Dan's name (it was Will and Tyler), so he showed Dan that he is, in fact, on the bottom of his alliance. Dan was oblivious to that fact before, but maybe that helps Mike bring him back into the fold. If he can convince Dan, maybe they can get Sierra, too.

Solid finish to an otherwise slow episode.

EDIT: Also, Dan has two votes, so they don't actually need Sierra to create a tie at the next vote. Mike and Dan could prove a powerful duo if Dan gets on board. Oh, and Dan's still a shit head.

6. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I thought it was a brilliant tactic, but I thought it was strange that Jeff never said anything about Mike not using the idol. I know he put it back into his pocket, but it was a little confusing.

Great tribal. Thrilled to see Shirin gone.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Dan is such a tool.
    And he has the extra annoying attribute of being a dumb guy who thinks he's smart and likes to hear himself talk.

Mike won't go home next. We know that.
    Tyler and Carolyn know that Dan has a double vote. They reveal the info before tribal, and Dan goes home 5-3.

8. bigpern23

I read in Probst's Q&A this week that Dan said before the show that he wanted to be "remembered." It's so obvious that he wants to be a "character" that I'm not exactly sure if he's exaggerated his entire personality to be remembered. I noticed it early on that before every challenge when Jeff asks "Worth playing for?" Dan always replies loudest, saying "ABSOLUTELY." He always struck me like the kid on my football team who tried to yell the loudest, "YES COACH!!!!!!!!" just so he'd get noticed, rather than practicing hard and playing well to get noticed.

9. bigpern23

Also, I'm not so sure it's that cut and dried. All Mike and Dan need is for Sierra or Rodney to flip and they create a 4-4 tie. If they get Sierra, for instance, once they get the tie, I'd think that the others would realize that it's better to vote out Tyler than Dan.

10. bigpern23

I'm assuming Dan will realize that he's on the bottom of the pecking order in the strong six and will team up with Mike in an attempt to flip the numbers to his side.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Does Carolyn have an idol?

12. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Yes, she found it in week 1 or 2, IIRC.

She has a good chance of winning, but they rarely show her on the air. I can't remember too many of her confessionals. She's either really boring or will go home soon.

Draft saved Draft deleted