1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Survivor: Redemption Island 2011

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Jan 11, 2011.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

So I missed the first 30 minutes of the show...why is everyone wearing underwear, and not bathing suits? Did they explain that?

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Because in the case of many of the women, it's awesome. In the case of Phillip? Not so much.

3. bigpern23

Oh, it's definitely easier than in earlier seasons. They'll never film in a desert again because of how difficult Survivor:Africa was (the one that Ethan Zohn won, I believe). It was so difficult to keep the contestants hydrated that they decided to keep it strictly to tropical locales after that, I believe.

But I liked that it was difficult. I liked that fire was a prized possession and had to be maintained at all costs. Now, they may as well just give them an acetylene torch.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm thinking everyone has figured out to bring along a pair of eyeglasses to start fire - it's not that big of a trick.

5. bigpern23

It just seems like it would be more interesting to see the contestants going out on a hunt (and maybe doing some strategizing in the process) or fishing for their food every day, rather than sitting around a campfire eating rice and talking strategy.

The strategy of the game is interesting, don't get me wrong. But it seems like now, the show is divided into:

- Strategic meeting (wading in waves, walking through forest, sitting on beach)
    - Reward Challenge
    - Celebration/dejection
    - Strategizing while group is away at reward
    - Immunity Challenge
    - Tribal Council

I think it would be great if the contestants knew that if they wanted any variety in their diet outside of rice or basic rations, they'd have to learn to hunt, trap and forage for food. Reward challenges that give them tools and/or lessons on how to do so would be better than giving them peanut butter, chocolate and beer.

The show long ago gave up any pretension that the contestants are surviving the wilderness instead of the game, but I think it would be cool to see them get back to actually having to fend for themselves a little bit.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I really hate the idea of a 7-day celebrity edition of the show. Seven days is not Survivor.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I think HBO should do Survivor Topless.

8. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

do you really want to see shambo topless? or jane?

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Indeed, too bad she won't be around long enough for us to properly, uh, assess them.

Craziest tribal council I have seen and the best season opener in ages.

Phillip is so crazy he makes Coach look sane. Dude needed to pack some boxers. Francesca is 10 of the most annoying people ever on that show.

And what was with the guy in the suit? Who in the fuck wears a suit on Survivor?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I wonder if this is one of those seasons where they tell people they're going for a photo shoot and are suddenly told "game on!" They're usually given their island clothes at some point during the game.
    It's been done several times. You'd think they'd be smart enough to put on some of their island wardrobe beneath the suit, dress or whatever.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Hated seeing Steve Wright sucking up and slapping palms with that dirt ball Russell.

12. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

saw "out of the wild" on discovery last night and i wonder how many survivor contestants could make it to the end of that show.

Draft saved Draft deleted