1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Survivor B thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Yawn, Nov 19, 2007.

1. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I wouldn't want Fairplay's stink anywhere near me. Hooking yourself to someone nobody likes is a good strategy when it's someone competitive and you want to face them in the final, but he's not going anywhere near the end. When he gets smoked, they're coming after anyone they perceive to be in his alliance next.

2. Many of the “best players” suggested earlier were really just those players who were most adept at physical challenges. That misses the main point of the game - social skills.

If the best player was determined by who is the best athlete, it would be called “The Decathlon” instead of “Survivor”

Here is a true list of best players:

1) Yul - winner from Cook Islands. Excellent people skills, good strategist. Was also a strong physical player.

2) Brian - winner from Thailand. Devious, but hid it very well. Overcame his lack of physical strength, weak tribe, and numerical disadvantage to still win.

3) Earl - winner from Fiji. Also overcame a weak tribe and numerical disadvantage to win. He smartly tossed Yauman under the bus at the end to insure victory.

4) Rob Cesternino - 3rd on Amazon. Arguably the best strategist ever. He was constantly working new (and conflicting) alliances.

5) Chris - winner from Vanatu. Fat, lying piece of shit, but he won. Overcame his total lack of physical ability. Was the last member of his tribe, out-numbered 6-1, yet still won. Of course, his competition was among the dumbest players ever, so he benefitted from being a giant among pygmies.

Conversely, here are the most overrated players –

Hatch – he was a very good player. But spare me how he “wrote the book” on how to play. The sad fact is if you weren’t able to figure out how to play this game within 30 seconds of learning the rules, you are clueless. Hatch was just fortunate to be matched up with a bunch of morons.

Colby – for the reasons noted above. He essentially forfeited by taking Tina with him to the final.

Rob Mariano – couldn’t even make the merge in Marquesas. He was a total loser as a player, albeit an entertaining one. For reasons beyond human understanding, he was selected for All-Stars. As is well-accepted, the All-Stars concept was fatally flawed. Since every player was known to each other, the best players were at a distinct disadvantage, as they were the obvious first targets. Mariano was (rightly) regarded as a bad player, thus, he benefited. He ended up winning not because of his smarts, but rather because Lex was a total idiot for keeping Amber.

3. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

My five:

1) Tom Westman because he played the game to a tee. Best survivor I have seen in a while.
    2) Colby because he was dominant in the challenges. Tina owes him a lot because Colby gave her the win by taking her to the final.
    3) Stephanie who showed perseverance, guts and strength in the game.
    4) Ian even though I still don't forgive him for giving up for Katie to get in the final. He played a brilliant game until the last round.
    5) Boston Rob who knew how to orchestrate the game, but ended up losing the million dollars twice.

Draft saved Draft deleted