1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

survey of young Muslims: 26 percent say suicide bombing OK

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, May 24, 2007.

1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

The myth of Muslim support for terror
    The common enemy is violence and terrorism, not Muslims any more than Christians or Jews.
    By Kenneth Ballen

WASHINGTON

Those who think that Muslim countries and pro-terrorist attitudes go hand-in-hand might be shocked by new polling research: Americans are more approving of terrorist attacks against civilians than any major Muslim country except for Nigeria.

The survey, conducted in December 2006 by the University of Maryland's prestigious Program on International Public Attitudes, shows that only 46 percent of Americans think that "bombing and other attacks intentionally aimed at civilians" are "never justified," while 24 percent believe these attacks are "often or sometimes justified."

Contrast those numbers with 2006 polling results from the world's most-populous Muslim countries – Indonesia, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Nigeria. Terror Free Tomorrow, the organization I lead, found that 74 percent of respondents in Indonesia agreed that terrorist attacks are "never justified"; in Pakistan, that figure was 86 percent; in Bangladesh, 81 percent.

Do these findings mean that Americans are closet terrorist sympathizers?

Hardly. Yet, far too often, Americans and other Westerners seem willing to draw that conclusion about Muslims. Public opinion surveys in the United States and Europe show that nearly half of Westerners associate Islam with violence and Muslims with terrorists. Given the many radicals who commit violence in the name of Islam around the world, that's an understandable polling result.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0223/p09s01-coop.htm

2. IU90

IU90 Member

Suicide bombing can be a good thing. When Randy Quaid guided his nuclear packed spacecraft kamikaze style into the alien mother ship at the end of Independence Day, can anyone protest that as a bad decision?

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Randy Quaid suicides are never a bad thing.

Although that "insurgent" had a lot of nerve attacking a group of people that were planning to occupy his planet.

4. What do you suppose the results would be in any religion if you asked its most devout adherents if suicide bombings were necessary for the survival of the religion?
    Outside of the Buddhists, I don't like our chances, especially since Catholics still seem to have a sweet-tooth for torture.
    http://ncronline.org/NCR_Online/archives2/2006a/032406/032406h.htm

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Interesting that the "secular" respondents were the most adamant in their opposition to torture.

6. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

They have a RIGHT to their thoughts and feelings. This is pointless and baseless since 74% A WHOPPING MAJORITY think differently.

Does it matter????

Muslims in the Middleast are crossing the borders to help their iraqi brothers with the cause - Amerika don't stand a FUCKIN chance over there.

The muslims are fighting with their hearts while the Americans are fighting on orders.

Advantage Muslims.

7. Please stop it now.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Speaking of crazy, 35% of democrats believe Bush knew about 9/11 in advance. 35%!!!!!!

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Which is about as much of a diversionary tactic as I've ever seen. By all means, let's not focus on this survey!

10. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I would gather 75-percent or more of Italian-Americans don't have any connection to the Mafia. But the remaining 25-percent have a pretty powerful grip on organized crime....running numbers, drugs, prostitution, et. al. Just ask the British what they thought about the threat of homegrown terrorists before the 7-7 train bombings.....

Oh yeah...Savage is a radio host, he ENTERTAINS people. Some of us write for the Podunk Press and some of us talk on the radio. The point is to be ENTERTAINING--right or left. He makes some outrageous points because that is what his audience laps up. He's not a statesman, not a policy maker, he's not leading a unit in Iraq, he just talks on the radio.

11. So he's a vandal.

12. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

Well, shit. I guess I can cross off Independence Day on my list of movies haven't yet seen but really ought to.

Draft saved Draft deleted