1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Survey: MORE than 1 in 5 are victims of sexual misconduct

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Sep 21, 2015.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Leave the media coverage alone for a minute.

What constitutes consent, and in turn constitutes sexual assault, is subjective.

Is there a better way to measure non-consensual sexual encounters than to ask the people whose consent it is to give how often they gave it and how often they didn't? If not, why not? Why is there no trust here?

If 150,000 college kids said they had at one point contracted an STD, would anyone dispute it?

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Not if the students were from Ohio State.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

There's a better way to get a percentage.

And, it is subjective. So, it's not a a definitive number when only one participant in the activity can define what happened as sexual assault and/or sexual misconduct.

And, when bringing further attention and funding to the issue is a huge deal on college campuses, I think a percentage of women who choose to reply to this kind of survey may have motivations to show this problem as larger than it may be.

It's become a political issue, and if you give people the resources to draw attention to their political issue, some of them will take advantage of that.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

It's not the number MC, it's the translation of that number into a rate. Suppose I gave a survey to 500,000 college kids and 150,000 of them responded. Further suppose that among the respondents, only 1,500 admitted ever having had an STD. Would it be reasonable to then infer that only 1% of college students have ever had an STD?

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Ok. How?

It only takes one participant to give, not give, or withdraw consent. Plus, no one is getting prosecuted off this data, so one might argue it's actually a clearer picture than you'd get otherwise.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

So this is like claiming 20 percent of men beat their wives and girlfriends after the Super Bowl? Which we all found out later was a farce.

8. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

It's not the size of the sample, it's whether it is representative. What if 50 percent of those who responded were women's studies majors? Might that bias the sample?

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

You can major in women's studies? Damn, where was that when I was in college? I've been studying women since I was 13.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Of course, I still haven't figured them out yet.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted