1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Surgeon General's report on secondhand smoke

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cosmo, Jun 27, 2006.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

Carmine Raguso,

The idea that drinking to excess only hurts the individual is ludicrous. But's that for another thread.

Anyway, I am annoyed by the cloud that sometimes hovers over me in a bar, and, yes, smoking is bad. But smokers have become too easy a target. And I think the path some would like us to go down is criminalizing it, so that you can only smoke "in your house." I have high blood pressure, skyrocketing cholesterol and heart disease runs in my family, and smoking isn't the cause of any of that. There's a lot of bad stuff out there, but the anti-smoking (which is often anti-smoker) zealotry is off the charts.

Finally, I was hoping that this argument could devlve to the point that your next sign would say, "Pallister sucks." Whaddaya think?

2. Stupid

Stupid Member

Wait a minute. Why are you comparing casual drinkers to heavy smokers? The 1-2 cigarette a day guy isn't causing health care costs to spiral either. Certainly people with poor diets are creating as much if not more of a strain on the health care industry than smokers, whose numbers have declined significantly in the past 20 years.

As far as someone's consumption of a fifth of Jack Daniels not destroying your liver too, you fail to mention that person could destroy your entire body if they run over you. You can't ignore that aspect of it.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Isn't that kind of a muddled argument? Drinking AND driving can harm someone who is innocent. Smoking and well, nothing else, can harm someone who is innocent. There's a little difference. And no arguments about obesity. It strains our health care system, and drives up costs, beyond any other single thing. It had its own thread here at one point.

And pallister, I wasn't glossing over what an alcoholic can do to tear apart a family and destroy friendships. But all these red herrings still ignore the one fact that started this thread. Smoking is an activity that in and of itself can cause harm to complete strangers who are unlucky enough to have to be around you. Short of things that are illegal, such as knifing someone in the back, I am not sure I can think of any other personal activity that so recklessly infringes on others.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

Great, now we're gonna have to talk about the devastating effects of recreational knifing.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Apprently you haven't been riding the New York City subway recently? :)

6. Stupid

Stupid Member

It's  not that muddled considering that drinking impairs judgement and people drive when intoxicated. Alcohol plays a role in nearly 40% (the last figure I remember seeing) of traffic fatalities. It's definitely an issue with regards to health care costs and alcohol.

Agreed that smoking can directly affect others but given that most public places and many businesses are smoke-free, I wonder how much of an effect secondhand smoke still has. Obviously, the worst effect is on kids and others who must put up with a family member's smoke inside the home. Short of outlawing smoking altogether, I don't see how you can completely eliminate that.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's a tough one. I'd say smoke at home, but then you are endangering your family, if you have one.

Smoking has not redeeming qualities at all and lots and lots of negatives.

8. Stupid

Stupid Member

I always thought it went well with whisky.

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Just thinking out loud.

Instead of a ban, what about a $50 "health crisis" tax per pack?

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

How about one for every quarter pounder with extra cheese and an angioplasty on the side?

11. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

Why don't we call smokers what they really are, then we could see how people would defend them. Drug addicts. No different than someone smoking crack or shooting smack, smokers are drug addicted losers. Either too stupid or too weak to stop their behavior that they all know will hasten their death.

Yes smoking tobacco is legal (it shouldn't be) but it is a monumentally stupid thing to do.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

That's the kind of thinking that scares me; it's a way of criminalizing smoking (and smokers) without stepping up and saying that's what you want to do.

Just say you want smoking to be illegal and let's go from there.

Draft saved Draft deleted