1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Surfing the boards

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GuessWho, Aug 6, 2006.

1. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

This probably has been discussed here before, but I'm too lazy to look. Anyway, do you scan the fan message boards of the teams you cover to see if there's anything that might need following up?

Check this out from a Texas A&M board. Although it doesn't pertain to the Aggies, it's certainly interesting when you note the date on the first post, given what's occurred the past week. (Everything you need to see is on the first page. You can skip the subsequent 38 pages of holy craps.)

http://texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?topic_id=567066&forum_id=5

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yes. Maybe five percent of all posters on those things know their shit. Maybe less than that. Figure out which one's they are and pay attention.

And the Aggie thing is being discussed on the other board. A cross-board d-b!

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

There on the horizon ... I see a D_B.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/30340/

:D

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I have no problem with my guys reading the boards, as long as they don't post ...

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That reserved for the sports editor? ;D :D

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Fan boards we speak of here, yes? Then I don't think anybody on staff, the SE included, should be posting.

(Some SportsJournalists.com threads may veer in that direction sometimes but i wouldn't call it a fan board.)

If a fan board seriously misrepresents something we've done, then I think that's a matter to be resolveed between the SE and the Webmaster.

Draft saved Draft deleted