1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Supreme Court watch

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Agree about single payer. Unfortunately, it will never happen. Too many Ayn Rand types in the GOP.

2. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Same-sex marriage a constitutional right. No big surprise, but big news nonetheless.

HC likes this.
  3. More surprised by the close vote, 5-4.
    Wow.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That sums up my situation perfectly.

Counting premiums and the $4,000 deductible, I am out $7,240 before my insurance will kick in one penny.

I'm 54. Kind of need a colonoscopy. Ain't gonna shell out the $1,000+ to get 0ne. Still paying off the $6,000 bill for my wife's 5-hour ER visit last February.

Before ACA, I was paying $2,500/year with no deductible.

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Lindsey Graham can get married now. Woo-hoo!

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Scotus Blog says no more opinions today. Three remaining cases will be on Monday.

My insta-analysis says this is another ruling good for both parties. A win for Dems and a campaign issue for some Republicans. I think the smarter Republicans will leave it alone though.

And, as always, the Onion nailed it years ago...

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes, but .....

If you have a Health Savings Account, any money you use from that to pay medical costs is tax free.

And if you have a high deductible health plan, it's possible that the premiums are much lower and out-of-pocket expenses much higher, but in the end it's about even. Or you may be ahead if you don't meet the deductible. And you get the lower negotiated rate for RXs, visits, etc.

Also, things like colonoscopies may be free or reduced. Lots of plans don't charge for preventative care/screenings.

Donny in his element likes this.
  8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Is this even a real hug if the dude is trying to selfie it?

YankeeFan likes this.
  9. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Ace, are you available to tell anyone else that they're wrong about their health insurance? If so, I think we should sticky a running "Ask Ace what's good for you" thread.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well, I work in health care now, so sure. Bring it, Mr. Melanoma!

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

There are millions and millions out there in exactly the same boat. And all of the Obama cheerleaders will ignore their existence.

12. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Not true. Ace is available to lecture them.

old_tony likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted