1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Supreme Court watch

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This is nuts, I know, but maybe, you know, this was what he thought about it.

YankeeFan likes this.
  2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'm just glad the judges didn't get all activist on us and change the will of Congress. We conservatives hate judicial activism, you know.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Except that in this case they did, indeed, change the will of Congress. Details, details.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

HC likes this.
  5. LongTimeListener

Is that right? Weird that the ACA would have passed in a Congress that didn't want to pass it.

Give us some more history lessons, Bluto.

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Well, THIS Congress wouldn't have passed it. lol

7. old_tony

They put in the clause about states that set up their own exchanges thinking this would force the states to set up exchanges for that "free" federal money. Except that 30-some states didn't take the bait. Then they changed their argument to the fact that they were incompetent as lawmakers.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Obama is the '72 Dolphins of these battles. Elections. Court cases.

9. LongTimeListener

Hmmmm. That's very interesting, Bluto. It still doesn't really answer how ACA became law when Congress didn't pass it, but it's verrrrrrrry interesting.

10. old_tony

They passed it as one thing, then said they meant another thing. Much like the individual mandate wasn't a tax and then it was a tax.

But go ahead and celebrate the fact that only three SCOTUS Justices can read. Illiterate courts are your best hope for the society you seek.

Meanwhile, a few more people have health "insurance" nowadays, but millions and millions more can't afford to go to the doctor than ever before. Nice system you "won" for Americans.

11. old_tony

For your analogy to be true, the '72 Dolphins would have had to have some games where they were outscored, but a court later ruled that their field goals were worth 15 points and changed the outcome.

12. LongTimeListener

I feel so informed. Thanks!

Meanwhile, to my initial point: Thank God we didn't have any judicial activism. You and I, being staunch conservatives, do not like judicial activism.

Draft saved Draft deleted