1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Supreme Court Justice Bill Clinton?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Jan 3, 2008.

1. And we have Bingo.
    Besides, given Clinton's demonstrated attitude toward gay marriage, the death penalty, expanded police power to combat "terrorism," and welfare "reform," why do we need another social consevative on the bench?
    (Hi Boom!)

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

We also have no idea what they are doing/have done with respect to wiretapping. This administration believes that pretty much none of their actions are subject to oversight by Congress or the courts. They believe that they are free to ignore pretty any laws which they choose.

3. If an innocent person is detained without trial in my name by my government, I am affected more than you know.
    If someone's been wiretapped without a warrant in my name by my government, I am affected more than you know.
    If the president acts beyond the law -- and this guy has admitted doing that in re: FISA at least 14 times -- in my name in my government, then I am affected more than you now.
    I should not have to explain this to Americans.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

We used to be the good guys.

Now, the rest of the world does not see us as the heroes that helped win WWII.

We are seen as the bullies who stormed through a country even though we were told not to by the United Nations. And we never found what we were supposed to be looking for in that country.

5. You mean WWII, the war in which the government actively censored photos and used propaganda?

If you don't think most of the rest of the world looked at us badly before Iraq, you just weren't paying attention. We get that treatment simply for existing.

If we get involved in certain things, we're too controlling, too overpowering, sticking our noses in everybody's business. If we don't get involved, we're sticking our heads in the sand, letting things get out of control.

Damned if we do, damned if we don't.

Anti-Americanism was widespread well before Jan. 20, 2001. At least now other countries aren't as hypocritical about it.

If the U.S. wasn't around, they'd have to invent some other bogeyman to explain away all their problems.

Funny thing. When a Democrat returns to the White House, they'll pretend to like us again. To hell with them.

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Speaking of bogeymen... ::)

I can only surmise that you don't get out much.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Whomever is elected president (Republican can cross party lines) should make the following two appointments:
    - Al Gore as head of the EPA (Al wants to be an environmental defender, let him do it from a position where he can crack down on the corporations that contribute to global warming)
    - Bill Clinton as UN Ambassador or Secretary of State. Let Bill be the face that restores other nations' faith in us.

8. If this was an attempt at humor, it didn't work. :)

9. Unfortunately, I get out more than I probably should.

10. markvid

markvid Guest

All kidding aside, if Hillary's smart, she would never give either a position in her Cabinet.
    To do that would seem weak, and as though she's just a shadow President, while those two once again make all the decisions.

11. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

Had that innocent person not been in Afghanistan shooting at American soldiers while not wearing the uniform of any nation, he likely wouldn't have been detained. I mean (and maybe I'm just spitballing here), if you wanna include the details and stuff.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

At one time, a conservative columnist (maybe Will) floated the idea of Bush nominating Bill or Hillary Clinton to the Supreme Court in the last opening.
    With Hillary it takes a leading Democrat out of the equation for president
    With Bill it would be seen as bipartisan move that would end some rancor and also, possibly, keep Hillary out of the race.
    For both, it would give Bush the high ground. If Hillary refused, it would be bad politics for her. If Bill passed, then it makes Bush look like the better person.

Draft saved Draft deleted