1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Supreme Court: California prison overcrowding violates 8th Amendment

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 23, 2011.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Three strikes and you're wrong, bitch!

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Mizzou - I believe that technically, marijuana is classified as a hallucinogen. So your plan won't release as many people as you'd thought. FACE!

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

You're mixing up politics & jurisprudence. That's a fine policy argument, and I there may be some justices in the minority that would agree, but that's not their job.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Yes, judges should fix everything.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The Constitution bans "cruel and unusual punishment."
    The job of the Supreme Court is to decide issues of constitutional law.
    Therefore, whether you agree or disagree with this decision, to argue that the Supreme Court doesn't or shouldn't have the power to decide if a state government is violating an amendment of the Bill of Rights through its administration of prisons is just silly.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The Constitution set up our system of "activist judges" by making the judicial branch an equal check and balance against the executive and legislative branch. Not that it's always right or fair, but then again, the other two aren't always, either. Hence, checks and balances. So I don't get why people get their noses out of joint when judges decide the constitutionality of a law. That's their job -- it's in the Constitution!

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Bob, I think technically the Supreme Court itself decided that's what the Constitution did in Marbury v. Madison. But it's so long-settled that it's moot.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I'm a graduate of the Herman Cain School of Constitutional Studies.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's fine. It's totally settled and has been for centuries, and the debate about it is purely academic at this point, but I wanted to insulate you from the predictable attack of one of the board originalists.

10. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Maybe some of those released will get to meet some of these fine jurists! Shake their hand and tell 'em thankee kindly. A true Norman Rockwell moment.

Draft saved Draft deleted