1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Support for gay marriage: 58 percent

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

What if it took having a brother who is gay to realize how wrong you were?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That's essentially what happened with Portman, and it appears to be an unacceptable route to enlightenment.

You have to change your mind after stumbling upon a "Will & Grace" re-run in syndication. Or from going to the gym.

3. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

How will they reconcile it with the Bible, and an even better question, why do they have to? The state can recognize same sex marriage all they want, who says a church has to recognize it and have the ceremony in their church?

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Great. Fantastic.

But what if having a gay brother means you love your gay brother - and yet continue using the slur on other gay men?

There are lots of shades of conversion here, and not every one of them is total.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I'm so screwed then ... it never occurred to me there could be such a thing as same-sex marriage when I was a young man.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Is Mr. Portman's "enlightenment" on the matter of gay marriage total?

Or is it partial?

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Churches don't want to become marginalized.

How many of them were against interracial marriage a generation ago?

How many of them are against it now?

It's a side show, but it's a fascinating one.

8. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Then you didn't really change your mind in the traditional sense, did you?

9. doctorquant

New Mexico seems to be saying that at least some conscientious objectors (note: NOT churches) have to recognize/participate in same-sex ceremonies.

10. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Such as? I would love to see this as written.

11. doctorquant

Well, when it first crossed my radar my reaction was something on the order of ... WTF? So, yeah, I guess I am screwed, because originally I thought the idea was, at a minimum, ridiculous. Was a long time ago, though.

12. Churches are starting to reach out to homosexuals.

The LDS Church is slowly changing. While still against same-sex marriage and sexual activity outside of marriage, the leadership no longer teaches sexual orientation is a "choice". The LDS Church also does not encourage homosexuals to undergo "therapy" to change their orientation or marry someone of the opposite sex in the hope a person would change their orientation.

The LDS Church also sat out from 2012 ballot questions on same-sex marriages. Baby steps in the right direction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.