1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Support for gay marriage: 58 percent

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oh hell no!
    HUGE gulf between this kind of support and actual voters.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I was looking at Steve Landsburg's blog this morning and he kind of addressed this. I liked his post.

http://www.thebigquestions.com/2013/03/19/history-repeats-itself/

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Antonin Scalia has had a brilliant, sometimes controversial career as a conservative firebrand on the Supreme Court. I like him.

But I fear that, if the vote is 5-4 this summer with Anthony Kennedy joining the liberal caucus, the out-of-touch dissent he is sure to issue may end up being his legacy.

4. Dick Whitman

No, because young people don't vote at a high rate.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

It makes sense, but the Franklin analogy only works if Franklin was actively preventing other people's children from getting a vaccination.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think if you put it on the ballot nationally, it would probably lose by a relatively narrow margin.

The over 70 crowd would all line up to vote against it.

What I find most interesting about this issue is that it's less of a party issue than it is an age and race issue.

I think in 20 years when the Baby Boomers have died off, you could put this on the ballot and it would fly through. Hopefully, we won't have to wait that long.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Two things about the question of 'hypocrisy' and how people come to hold their 'convictions' and 'principles.'

- It's interesting (to me at least) as a purely philosophical matter how people arrive at new 'beliefs.'

- But as a practical political matter one has the right to ask any 'convert' how lightly held his new 'beliefs' might be, since the old 'beliefs' were abandoned as soon as they became personally inconvenient.

8. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Usually, it's Mizzou who's decided I'm required to oppose gay rights because I'm a boomer.

9. Dick Whitman

To me, phrasing it this way is a severe trivialization of what the experience of having a gay son has done for Rob Portman.

I care deeply about this movement, but this particular news story has served to illuminate a smugness among my fellow proponents that I don't really love.

10. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Slippery slope to purity tests there.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Nothing smug about it.

He was an active opponent of gay rights until his son came out.

Glad to have his vote going forward - if in fact gay rights does have his vote, not just his "neutrality" - but let's not pretend he wasn't actively legislating against the rights of other people's gay children for years.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I think it's a fair question that never gets much of an answer except in someone's actions after the declaration of conversion.

I await the proof in Mr. Portman's behavior going forward.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.