1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Supervising Editor, Digital, at NESN

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by JHath, Mar 28, 2016.

1. JHath

JHath Member

Hi everyone:

I'm looking for someone to help me leading an extremely fast-growing Digital department at NESN. Our site is ranked 13th in the sports vertical, according to comScore, and we're looking to grow even more with our fleet of bloggers and video hosts/producers.

Feel free to message me with questions. Link to the job is here -- Supervising Editor, Digital -- and the description is below.

Thanks,
    Justin Hathaway
    Senior Manager, Digital/Editor In Chief
    NESN

Supervising Editor, Digital
    POSITION SUMMARY
    Reporting to the Senior Manager, Digital/Editor in Chief, the Supervising Editor will have supervisory responsibility over a group of content producers and content editors within the NESN Digital department. The Supervising Editor also will help plan, develop, implement and oversee editorial content for NESN’s digital platforms, ensuring all content meets the organization’s standards.

ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
    • Direct management responsibility for a group of content producers and content editors. Responsible for direct reports’ performance and career management, and employee relations. Train and mentor staff to develop well-rounded skill sets and provide high-quality support to all productions. Interview, hire, on-board and train digital team members.
    • Use news judgment and analytics knowledge to select stories and assign them to team members for publication on NESN’s digital platforms.
    • Edit NESN Digital content to ensure it meets organizational standards for journalistic integrity and quality
    • Ensure NESN Digital content has a consistent and appropriate “look and feel” and editorial voice. Content also should be compelling, engaging, understandable, informative and current.
    • Program NESN’s digital platforms, using analytics for proper story and news prioritization
    • Assist supervisor with formulating content plans and working with content partners on proper distribution strategy
    • Assist NESN’s sales team in developing and executing digital initiatives that will attract sponsorships
    • Post content when needed, including news, analysis, features, opinion pieces, videos and podcasts
    • Work with NESN’s programming and production staff to develop editorial strategies and packages
    • Communicate with reporters in the field and pull together last-minute plans, including breaking news
    • Develop, implement and maintain an efficient content workflow
    • Demonstrate expertise in relevant concepts and processes with technical/software tools
    EDUCATION
    • BA/BS in Communications, Journalism, or a related field
    QUALIFICATIONS
    • At least eight years of experience in sports journalism; digital experience strongly preferred
    • Experience supervising a staff in a fast-paced news environment, including coaching and mentoring, training and skill development, and reviewing performance
    • Proven ability to provide and apply sound news judgment in a professional newsroom setting
    • Experience with analytics tools required; Google Analytics certification a plus
    • Top-notch writing and editing skills; strong knowledge of and adherence to AP style
    • Well-rounded sports knowledge strongly preferred
    • Demonstrated proficiency using multimedia and social media tools
    • Ability to think quickly and respond appropriately in high-pressure situations
    • Must have strong communication and interpersonal skills
    • Must be detail-oriented, have excellent organization skills and a proven track record in multitasking
    • Strong work ethic, reliable and professional
    • Must be a self-starter who can work independently but also able to manage effectively within a team environment

Donny in his element likes this.
  2. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Is this in Boston?

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

NESN is in Watertown, just outside the city limits.

4. JHath

JHath Member

Correct. We're in Watertown, just a short drive from Fenway and the Garden.

5. djdennisOU

djdennisOU Member

Man. I'd love to apply but lack the years of experience. Hope you find the right match!

6. JHath

JHath Member

Go ahead and apply. You never know!

djdennisOU likes this.
  7. djdennisOU

djdennisOU Member

I'll have to give it a shot!

8. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Watertown is home to Donahue's, one of my favorite divey sports bars in the world.

9. djdennisOU

djdennisOU Member

Applied. If I hear anything I'll do a goofy dance and put it on YouTube!

Draft saved Draft deleted