1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SuperSonics sold to OKC group

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WazzuGrad00, Jul 18, 2006.

1. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

2. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

How so? City will settle with group to let them out of their lease?

3. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

No, they'll buy it out. Seattle's tired of the Sonics and apparently they're losing "so* much money that Howard Schultz needed to make a $90 million profit by selling it to balance out.

4. flaming_mo

flaming_mo Guest

Let me get this straight... The Sonics have been purchashed by a group of businessmen from OKC, a city with a new arena that is absolutely desperate to grovel and write a blank check for an NBA team. And yet they put out a statement saying they hope to remain in Seattle?? Right.

Having spent gazillions of dollars for the Seahawks and Mariners, I can understand why Seattle is not eager to subsidize yet another sports franchise. If Seattle says "adios, don't let the door hit ya on the way out," I will have gained newfound respect for the city.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

The Sonics got their slice of the pie first, I believe, with a complete rebuild of Seattle Center/Key Arena.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

They could turn the arena into the world's largest Starbucks.

7. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Yes. Key Arena is only 11 years old. It opened for the 95-96 team. And what have the Sonics done since? Wasted a lot of people's time and money. The Mariners and Seahawks have at least had some success since the new stadiums opened (2001 M's - 116 wins, 05-06 Hawks - SB loss), with less time in the new digs. From a Seattle native to my home city - please kick the Sonics outta town.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It isn't?

9. John

John Well-Known Member

Fair point. How bout a Starbucks biosphere?

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

From what I've read, they by far supposedly have the worst lease in the NBA.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Does Bryant Reeves come out of retirement to play for the OKC Sonics?

12. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

No, but Shawn Kemp's making a comeback. May be signing with the Raptors or Nuggets, which means he'll have at least two chances to plant some seed in the OKC.

Draft saved Draft deleted