1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Superdelegate Puts Vote Up for Sale-$20 Mil

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, May 8, 2008.

1. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

DNC Superdelegate Puts His Vote Up For Sale
    Steven Ybarra Wants $20 Million For His Vote
    SACRAMENTO, Calif. (CBS13) ― In this tight battle for the Democratic nomination we've heard a lot about the candidates courting superdelegates.

But, one superdelegate is courting the candidates. He says he'll sell his vote for a price. A very high price: $20 million.

When asked whether it was right to offer what is clearly a quid pro quo, he responded, "hell yeah, absolutely. People do it all the time," answered Ybarra.

But not like this. Not in public and not for such big bucks. It begs the question: Is he crazy?

"Nobody's said I'm not crazy," said Ybarra.

Ybarra wants every cent of the $20 million to go towards registering and educating eligible hispanic voters, who he calls the key to the White House for the Democrats.

"And I keep asking the question of the DNC: 'why won't you earmark money for these voters?' And their answer is, 'oh, we can't do that' Which is a lie," said Ybarra.

With the Democratic National Committee saying 'no,' Ybarra waits for a 'yes' from already cash-strapped Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.
    http://cbs13.com/local/Superdelegate.Vote.Ybarra.2.718616.html

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I predict both Hill and Barack will give him a two-word reply. The second word will be 'You'. The first word will rhyme with 'duck' and 'luck'.

3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

He's just trying to illustrate the difference between a trophy wife and a prostitute.

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

He's not asking for the money. He's asking the campaigns to pay attention to Hispanics.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

To which Hill and Barack will say that they already do. Neither of them will pay $20 mill. Hill won't be able to afford it, and Barack will figure that it's just one superdelegate.

Plus, I'm sure nobody wants a precedent being set. If they were to give $20 mill for the Hispanic vote, someone will want $30 mill for cancer research, etc.

6. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

I'd like to see Barack pledge the money later on as part of a federal education initiative and lock down that vote! I think Bill Richardson will be his VP candidate anyway, which would be better than throwing money at the problem...

Draft saved Draft deleted