1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Super Bowl XLIII Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Good Doctor, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Hey, one question: how did Holmes get open on the TD? What was the route? Did he run inside, then improvise to the corner when Ben scrambled?

They showed a ton of slo-mo replays of the catch, and a few replays of the scramble, but I didn't see one of Holmes running around.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

All the ref had to do was explain the ruling/call. But they never did. Really a weird game. Why not take another minute to confirm the call? I really don't think it was ever fully reviewed by the replay official. Which is fine. Just don't take 10 minutes on a call as obvious as it is inconsequential next time.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The Obama interview, glitches aside, was very good.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Warner's 4th-quarter stats in 3 Super Bowls (3 total quarters of stats)
    26 for 39 for 447 yards, 4 TD passes, 1 TD run

5. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

I'll admit that I should not go into the prognostication business. But I'm happy to be wrong here, because that was a great, great finish after a pretty dull (aside from Harrison's incredible pick 6) first three quarters.

Warner was fabulous again, and Fitzgerald got back to being a terror in the 4th quarter. Roethlisberger joined Eli and Montana in NFL lore by leading come-from-behind, championship-winning drives at the end of the Super Bowl. And Santonio Holmes....wow! Great plays all over the place by both teams.

I haven't gone back through the thread to see all the reactions, but I don't blame the refs for this one. The last play should have been reviewed, to be sure. But this was absolutely nothing like what happened three years ago. The Steelers won this one fair and square.

I do put some blame, however, on Wisenhunt and his defensive coordinator for going soft on that last drive. You've been having a lot of success in the fourth quarter by playing aggresively defensively. So why, when you need only one more stop to close the deal, do you go to the prevent? Why do NFL coaches always insist on doing this?

As an aside, I was somewhat disappointed in Springsteen's halftime show. I know his act isn't suited for a very short gig like this, but I thought his little opening act at the beginning was lame and a waste of time. And I personally thought his selection was only so-so: no Badlands? No The Rising? Those are concert staples of his.

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

That's just it they didn't go prevent -- they blitzed on almost every play.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Sweet, gentle Tebow, my heart is getting too old for games like that.

8. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

I think maybe Oz has gone into some kind of fit :D

9. loveyabye

loveyabye Guest

What about Holmes not getting both his feet down on the catch? Here's a good pic: http://tinyurl.com/atrnya

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Just catching up on this thread ...

When I saw those championship hats, I asked my buddy why they gave Seahawks hats to the Steelers.

11. Anyone want to weigh in on the idea that it was a great, dramatic football game that didn't have very much well-executed football played in it?

12. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

What does that pic tell me? Nothing.

Draft saved Draft deleted