1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Super Bowl XLI Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Angola!, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Go Seahawks, the winners of last year's Super Bowl!

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Re: Super Bowl XXXXI Running Thread

Shit, that's right, those bums got eliminated two weeks ago.

Go Colts!

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Most of the week I thought it was going to be the Colts who won. But freaking EVERYONE thinks the Colts will win today. I'm starting to think the Bears are going to pull an upset today. The defense shows up, the special teams has a big play, and they pull it out.

But more importantly, my numbers today are fan-fucking-tastic for the first time ever.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I agree. As much as I hate to say it, I think the Bears will win. Hopefully I am wrong, but too many people think the Bears are going to get rolled, which surprises me, because the Colts struggled with the Ravens defense and the Bears defense is better than the Ravens'.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

1. The Bears defense is not better than the Colts defense. Damn good? Yes. Wildly better than Baltimore's? No.
    2. Although I picked the Colts, the Bears are receiving a respectable share of underdog-backers in the media and elsewhere, certainly by the standards of some other Super Bowls. I've seen a great deal many more Bears' backers here and elsewhere than there were people who picked the Pats to upset the Rams, or for that matter, the Bucs to beat the Raiders, whom they massacred.

6. Flying Headbutt

Mike, I've started thinking this game will be similar to that Pats-Rams game a few years ago. In fact, even if the Bears don't win now, I think it'll be because of another Vinateiri kick. I have a strong feeling they at least cover.

7. Michael_ Gee

The seven-point spread is at least a two-point overlay in Chicago's favot. The Colts' new methodical ways have not sunk in with the betting public. All the same, history says the only way to bet the Super Bowl is bet the team you think will win, period. Winning but not covering is the least likely outcome (something like 5 of the previous 40, and the last two Pats' wins were two of 'em).

8. Flying Headbutt

Only time I bet on the spread of the Super Bowl, the Panthers covered against the Pats and the over covered despite having two good defenses that year. It was also a touchdown spread, which had me nervous throughout what was a great game that ended in my favor.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I like the Bears. The key is the running game -- keeping Peyton & Co. off the field. If it rains, I like them even more.

The Colts had one of the worst punt-return-allowed averages in the league. (My guess is Hunter Smith keeps, ahem, outpunting his coverage.) If Devin Hester doesn't rake, it's beccause they're kicking it away from him -- probably the wisest thing they can do.

10. Michael_ Gee

The problem with depending on punt returns against the Colts is making them punt in the first place.
    The problem with depending on kickoff returns is self-evident. Why do you think Ellis Hobbs had all those chances to break them in the AFC title game?
    Forget the Jacksonville game, which was the one aberrational stinkbomb every NFL team turns every season, just as the Dolphins game was for Chicago. The Titans and Houston showed the real formula for beating the Colts. Don't let them translate their inevitable yards into points, or, in short, red zone defense. The Pats were tops at that all season, except against the Colts. It's certainly possible the Bears can do better.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

And here I didn't think anything could start earlier than this year's pregame gameday programming.

(Face The Nation? Isn't that just a bit of overkill, CBS?)

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

In the six games since Tommie Harris was injured, the Bears have allowed 24 points a game, against no one remotely of the Colts' caliber.

I would have loved to have seen Sean Payton run the ball on third down and get that FG to put the Saints up 17-16.

Without Harris, the Bears ooze fraud to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted