1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Super Bowl VII Dolphins-Redskins running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

If they can find the entire Colts-Cowboys game, Lugnuts will be ecstatic. But I think it's lost forever.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I'm a Dolphins fanboy looser (Hi patchs!) but it was an awful game to watch.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Those Dolphins were boring. It was their M.O. No style points on the scoreboard.
    Listen young 'uns, bring back the old rules about blocking and pass defense, and the Patriots, Colts, and anybody else would not have their wide-open passing attacks. It's not because they're superior talents. It's an adjustment to rules designed to favor offense at all costs. Before I expire, I confidently to see QBs play with red jerseys like they do in practice and all contact with the QB made a 15 yard penalty.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

And get off my lawn!

5. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

It's not lost. This game is available, and just recently was made complete. Ever watch the NFL Films' version of Jim O'Brien's game-winning kick? The goalposts come into the picture really fast for a game-winner...and it's because NFL Films didn't get the game-winning kick! It's actually an extra point, but they spliced it in and then cut to him celebrating.

google 'sports tape trading' or something like that and someone is bound to have it.

6. Sorry, Michael but, as a geezer myself, I'm not liking Nick Buonoconti's chances of breaking down 300-pound linemen on a swep, or Jake Scott's chances against Randy Moss.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

The part about the NFL Films fakery of the game-winning FG I know all too well -- I broke it down in detail on this board a year or two ago. It's not that the goal posts come into view too fast for a game-winner; rather, it's that they come into view too fast for a kick of 32 yards.

My research found only a quarter or two of that game available, but I haven't looked lately. I'll check again.

8. Michael_ Gee

FB, another fallacy in your thinking. Players are bigger today because people are bigger today. If the '72 Dolphins were born in the 1980s, they'd be bigger than they were then. My point is that comparing different eras is a fool's exercise. Would FDR have been as effective a politician on TV as he was on radio? Who knows and who cares?

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Exactly.

It's like saying someone with a salary of $50,000 in 1933 was not well off, because "that $50,000 would not go very far today."

10. Yes, but that doesn't mean you can assert, categorically, that today's passing game would have been ineffective back in 1972 simply because of the rule-changes, either. I suspect the 1972-era Randy Moss would have done quite wel.
    Comparing athletes from different eras is a fool's game, but it's a fool's game in both directions.

11. Michael_ Gee

There were two Hall of Fame receivers in Super Bowl VII, one on each side, Charley Taylor and Paul Warfield. Moss would have been excellent back then, sure, but his numbers would have been affected by the rules as well.

12. Not that much.

Draft saved Draft deleted