1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Super Bowl VII Dolphins-Redskins running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Feb 3, 2008.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

It was on NFL Network last night, I tivo'd it, haven't watched it. It was one of the first super bowls I watched as a kid - I am not really interested in the game, but apparently they are replaying the actual broadcast.

I am interested in seeing the TV production values, etc - it's not unlike opening up a time capsule. Any comments can go here (or this thread can get threadjacked to high hell).

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Early in the game, a Redskin swipes the ball out of the long snapper's hand on a Dolphins punt.

Guy gets penalized five yards for procedure, but the announcers never figured out what happened. They said "the guy got nervous and deflected the ball."

No nervousness about it.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Gowdy did eventually mention it was an interference with the centre penalty. Don't think I've ever heard that one.

Who was the colour guy? I didn't recognize the voice and missed the beginning.

As a broadcast it bears no resemblance to what we'll see today obviously. No score box, no graphics, no fantasy talk, no sponsored kickoffs. No shots of idiots in the stands.

I thought Gowdy did a good job of mentioning guys who were coming into the game. Dr. Z would be happy about that.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'm all over this one.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure Gowdy's color man was Al DeRogatis.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'm amazed at how quick these players were. Granted, they were the size of an average 5A Texas high school today. But the speed of the game doesn't seem much different.

I love seeing these games in real time and seeing the huddle break, etc.

Wow, the refs got $1,500 for the game!

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

8. Gowdy was really ready for the dogtrack at this point.
    I love the giant letters for the graphics.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

They all linger too long.

Summerall's been ready for decades, and he's still working.

10. Terence Mann

Terence Mann Member

I was looking forward to again seeing a big-game telecast with no clutter on the screen. Of course, the NFL Network logo is in the lower-right corner, and there's a crawl at the bottom ...

Call me old-fashioned, but I miss letting the game mostly speak for itself. How busy will the screen be 30 years from now? Will you be able to see the game at all between all the exploding logos, ads and E! True Hollywood Minutes? Hell, there are times watching ESPN highlights when you can't see the key play (blocked field goal, fumble pick-up) because it's obscured by some B.S.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I just hope that the NFL Network showing these games means that they are on the doorstep of selling them.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

There was one pbp guy I couldn't stand growing up - Curt Gowdy. I don't know why. He and Al De couldn't figure out that snap mess up, with the replay clearly showing the Redskin swiping at the ball.

Okay, that was one boring-ass football game.

The first pass thrown past the line of scrimmage had to be 20 plays in.
    Pat Fischer, the Skin db, weighed 170 pounds. 170! And I don't think he was on any olympic sprint relay teams, if you know what I mean.

According to NBC, the big bruiser Csonka weighed 210 pounds.

Billy Kilmer played without a chin strap. Take what you want from that - I don't think Billy Kilmer would play qb today without a chin strap.

I tapped out at the end of the first quarter. I'd rather watch chinch bugs mate on the Discovery channel than see any more 3 yard dives up the gut. Good old days, my ass. The Patriots' passing offense is galaxies ahead of that 1970's dreck.

Draft saved Draft deleted