1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Super Bowl Preview Help

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cappaman, Jan 29, 2010.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Start with the third paragraph.

2. Cappaman

Cappaman New Member

To be honest, I really don't have a choice. I have to write I preview, so I have to write something by tomorrow despite my limited, or really non-existent access to any of the players on the teams. This is for my school paper and I tried to do something different. If it didn't work out how you felt it should did have, I'm sorry. I tried to be somewhat original based on my resources, but if that didn't happen, I apologize to you, Sititch.

RickStain, should I scrap the first two sentences then?

3. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I'll take this one ... yes. First two grafs add nothing.

4. ETN814

ETN814 Member

I agree. The first two paragraphs killed the rest of the story for me. I see what you were trying to do, but any good editor would wipe them out.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Is your school profiting from the game?

If so, how much?

Where do these funds go in the university?

Are any of your fellow students working any cool jobs at the Super Bowl?

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

My beef with a vanilla preview is not that the writer is doing it. It's the fact that all too often, "couch" journalism is acceptable. It isn't. I'd go with an AP preview over a story that someone wrote from material found on ESPN.com, NFL.com and Wikipedia.

7. Cappaman

Cappaman New Member

Yeah, I understand. I overreacted a bit. So would you say that college papers should just stick to covering the school's teams? Or do you think they could also do something like 93Devil suggested, where national pro events are covered, but through the lens of the effect it has on the school?

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Both of those suggestions work. I've seen several college papers try to cover the pros, but neglect their own school's teams. I think some of the writers think the free pop and hot dog in the press box is pretty cool.

You can get a better story — and a better clip — from reporting on what's within easy reach.

Draft saved Draft deleted