1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Super Bowl poblemo: We don't get AP photos...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spikechiquet, Feb 7, 2010.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

The ME wants me to have a full-blown front with Super Bowl coverage for Monday's paper.
    Problem is...we don't have AP photos. We do have AP Exchange, will there be shots on there...sometimes stuff leaks onto there...or is it time for me to sharpen up on my stick-figure drawing skillz?

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Sorry, this post puzzles me.

You don't get AP Photos but you do get AP Exchange? I guess you mean you don't have a live AP feed into your front-end system.

I mean, all of our AP foto coverage comes through AP Exchange, and stuff shows up as live there as it would if we had some kind of AP feed into our system.

3. spikechiquet

Sorry, I don't know much of what I am talking about...but yes, I know we have an account on the web for AP Exchange for text...but rarely is there a pic that shows up, a few graphics here and there...maybe it's set up wrong? I dunno.

I just know when I look on there that pics don't usually show up. Hence my problem.

4. OceanLottery

OceanLottery Member

You know you've got to click on one of those tabs across the top to search for a specific item, in your case a photo, right?

When you access a story and those photos show up in the right rail they are just pics that have keyword matches for what's in the story.

For example, my APE reads Text, Photo, Graphics, Video, Interactive, Audio across the top and I just click on whichever tab applies for what I'm looking for and then search.

A photo search of 'Super Bowl' just returned 412 results. If you've got a similar setup, you ought to be OK tonight.

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

the level of service my last stop used did not include photos an ap exchange. of course that didn't stop people above me from grabbing an ap photo off another web site and using it.

6. spikechiquet

Yup, I understand the tabs...again, we don't get AP photos (like TXsportsscribe)...so I am trying to find an alternate way to get pics...is there anyway to get pics from other sources?

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

You're thinking of a poblano chile pepper. Dried version is the ancho chile pepper; take the seeds out and you have a capon pepper (taken from the name for a castrated male chicken). Fairly mild. Traditional Mexican cuisine uses 'em in everything; this surprises people who think traditional Mexican cuisine is todos jalapeños y sólo jalapeños todo el tiempo.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Sounds like time for you to sharpen up on your resume-writing skillz.

And your nunchuck skillz too.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Charticles and graphics can be good, but I'd check the tabs like the others said. Do you have a secondary wire, like MCT? There's photos there too. Otherwise, I'd start question the mental capabilites of your ME if he wants a big presentation without pictures ...

10. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

As far as I know, if you don't get AP photos, you can't get them on AP Exchange. All I can get are graphs. Not that it matters to me. We don't have a Monday edition and we're "hyperlocal." There won't be any Super Bowl coverage in my paper Tuesday unless there's a really compelling feature on it.

11. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I know this is the policy and all, but that's nuts. What is the most-discussed thing tomorrow morning? Sure ain't a city council meeting.

12. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Yes, but by the time our next paper comes out, it will be Tuesday morning. It's no longer news at that point, as far as our company is concerned.

Draft saved Draft deleted