1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Super Bowl LIII Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Did you mean the NFC hasn't worn white since SB48?
    I know why the Broncos wore white for SB 50. It was because they have gotten their asses kicked every time they wore orange in the Super Bowl (12, 22, 24, 48).
    The Steelers also wore white as the home team in SB 40 against the Seahawks. IIRC, they went on a run that year by winning a couple of road games and Cowher wanted to keep the same mindset for the Super Bowl.
    Was there ever a reason given for why the Patriots wore white last year? Was it a similar superstition? Would they ever admit it if it was?

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You can also add Fred Dean, Charles Haley and DeBartolo - all important members of those teams.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Absolutely should've remembered Dean and Haley. Owners have to do something more than field a winner to make the Hall in my book. Al Davis, Lamar Hunt, sure. Otherwise, I resist.

4. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

The Broncos won their first Super Bowl in dark uniforms (blue).

The Patriots were 3-0 (now 3-1) in white under Belichick when they made that choice last year.

Super Bowl 2018 jerseys: Patriots hope white stays lucky, Eagles will wear green

They didn't have the option this year. I'm guessing they would have chosen blue since those were the same color schemes of Super Bowl XXXVI.

The Rams are wearing dark unis in the Super Bowl for the first time in their four trips.

5. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

But the Broncos have never won in orange, and orange was the primary home jersey during Manning's time in Denver. One of my best friends is a Broncos fan. Even though they use the #unitedinorange hashtag, they consider orange jerseys in the Super Bowl to be cursed.

HappyCurmudgeon and Batman like this.
  6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I denounce myself.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Blue, not orange. They wore orange in Super Bowls 12, 22, 24 and 48 and got outscored by a combined 167-38.
    The orange jerseys became their primary color jersey right around SB 48, IIRC. They still have the blues but those are the alternates now. I don't know if the NFL allows teams to wear alternates in the Super Bowl.

8. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

As far as I know, a team can't wear its alternates in the playoffs at all (but I don't know when that was changed). The Rams are able to wear their throwbacks because they switched them to being their primary home uniform.

9. HappyCurmudgeon

Did the 1994 49ers team wear their "alternates" in Super Bowl XXIX? That was a 75th anniversary throwback year if I'm not mistaken. The Chargers wore their normal roads and Niners kept wearing some bastardization of their old throwbacks mixed in with that classic 80s-90s look they had.

HanSenSE likes this.
  10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Browns fans feel the same

11. HappyCurmudgeon

More uniform wackiness.

As far as I can tell the first team to intentionally wear road whites when they had the home designation was the Steelers in Super Bowl XL. They had won all three playoff games on the road so decided to stick with a good thing.

Steelers will wear white jerseys in Super Bowl

That's not counting the Cowboys or Redskins who have had used their white uniforms as their home duds for a while.

The first time I had heard about a team potentially doing a switch on uniforms was before the second Bills-Cowboys Super Bowl where there was a little gag thinking the Bills should try their white uniforms since the Cowboys hated wearing their darks. Marv Levy probably put the immediate kibosh on that idea. And I doubt it would have mattered, if anything it might have pissed the Cowboys off more.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

They had the shadow on the numbers that game (and white pants), so maybe they're alternate. But a lot of teams went the shadow route at that time.

Don't really remember what they wore that year on a regular basis.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted