1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Super Bowl LIII Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

One of Belichick's first rules of the Super Bowl, passed down from Parcells, is that no zebra wants to make the call that decides the game.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I just wonder if there's going to be pressure from the league office to call a tighter game. Not to influence it one way or another, but just a general memo that we don't want another scenario like last week so if anything seems borderline then error on the side of caution and call it. Don't let the words "bang bang" be written on your officiating tombstone.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

He is absolutely 1000 percent in.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I’m actually of the opinion the Pats should have called Gronk’s bluff and traded him and dared him to retire, but to say Jason Witten was every even remotely the player Gronk was is nutty.

He’s played 8 fewer seasons than Gonzalez and has the same number of 1000 yard seasons. He’s averaged more TDs per season than Gonzalez and is on a similar pace for catches (though I doubt he’ll come close to playing as long as Tony did, so yardage and catches records are well out of reach), plus he will be jerked off by every writer for his blocking, saying that he’s the most “complete” tight end of this (or any) era. Gonzalez and Graham and Shannon’s Sharpe didn’t block anyone. They also didn’t score more playoff touchdowns than anyone besides Jerry Rice.

He’s probably one of the most dominant players at his position of this era, and everyone loves him. He’ll get voted in just for the speech.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Well Gonzalez has played 17 seasons and Gates just finished his 16 season so the numbers aren't going to be close

Jimmy Graham: 9 seasons, 611 catches, 7,436 yards, 71 TDs, 5 Pro Bowls, 1 All-Pro, 1 Second team All-Pro
    Greg Olsen: 12 seasons, 666 catches, 7,847 yards, 57 TDs, 3 Pro Bowls, 2 Second Team All-Pro

He is 13th in catches by a tight end:
    Tony Gonzalez - 1,325
    Jason Witten - 1,152
    Antonio Gates - 955
    Shannon Sharpe - 815
    Greg Olsen - 666
    Ozzie Newsome - 662
    Jimmy Graham - 611
    Heath Miller - 592
    Vernon Davis - 573
    Jeremy Shockey - 547
    Kellen Winslow - 541
    Ben Watson - 530
    Rob Gronkowski - 528

He is 6th in yards, behind Gonzalez, Witten, Gates, Sharpe and Newsome
    He is 3rd in TDs, behind Gates and Gonzalez

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Carmichael was a wide receiver. He even wore No. 17 before receivers were made to wear numbers in the 80s.

Also shows how much the position has evolved and how much the game has changed by where Newsome is on the list. He retired in the early 90s and there was nobody near him. Now he’s in the middle of the pack.

7. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

I have doubts that Gronk will play three more seasons. I would not be surprised if he retired after this season.

8. Michael_ Gee

If Gronk's not a Hall of Famer there's no such thing. To me, his closest equivalent is Earl Campbell. His style of play guarantees he won't have as long a career as other guys. I love Gronk, but I don't envy him his 50s.

9. Michael_ Gee

The 49ers of the '80s only have Montana, Rice and Lott besides Walsh.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Edelman. Some TV guy said so.

11. Michael_ Gee

Fine player. No chance.

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted