1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Super Bowl in London?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Johnny Chase, Jan 31, 2012.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Oh, my dyslexia kicked in . . .

2. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why this idea has to be a "dead-solid-no-f*cking-way" situation.

London is not similar in any realistic way to Islamabad - - as someone made the comparison above - - with the obvious exception that you need a passport to get to either one. London is a sophisticated venue with facilities large enough and sufficiently modernized to host the game.

Will people go to London to see the game? Look, people went to Jacksonville to see the Super Bowl and to Detroit to see the Super Bowl. Let us not be so xenophobic as to suggest that London would rank below either of those two venues as a destination for fans to see the Super Bowl contest.

If I were the NFL exec in charge of finding ways to get cities to bid for the games, I would certainly not discourage London from participating. If they came in with a "knock-your-socks-off" offer, why not give it a shot?

I promise that I personally would much rather spend a long weekend - - or a week - - in London than in a bunch of the places where they have held the Super Bowl in the past.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Instead of a "Play60" campaign, the NFL could start a "Apply For Your Passports Now" ad blitz during the NFL Draft.

4. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Worked for the Raptors...

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Doesn't England have some pretty severe travel laws involving felons? That'd be a hoot if a Ray Lewis type couldn't play.

6. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

That won't happen at least until the Bills use Toronto to successfully blackmail Buffalonians (Buffaloans maybe?) into giving them a new stadium.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

People went to Detroit and Jacksonville because they could get home without jet lag within the next day.

This won't fly.

Did you see the "media" turnout today? Make it one-tenth making the trip to London, thus less free advertising for the NFL.

To say nothing of the multiple sponsors who invade the Super Bowl city with their parties/promotions all week. Those go away. Radio Row disappears. Dan Patrick isn't having DirecTV build a mini-London Bridge for his set. He's staying in Connecticut. Same with the mothership, which might send a maximum of 10 personalities, not the 30 or so it has in Indianapolis. And a vast majority of other media. Hell, the local sports radio station here has at least six on-air personalities in Indianapolis. Again, free advertising for the NFL that it loses. Multiply that by a hundreds.

You think 8,000 people in London will pay $25 each to sit in the stands for media day, much less there would be scalping of such tickets?

To keep the game in prime time for the East, you need to kick off at 11:30 p.m. London time. That won't happen. If it's an 8 p.m. kickoff in London, that's noon on the West Coast. Another nonstarter. The network carrying the game won't go for that.

Plus ... no matter where the game is -- Des Moines, Cheyenne, Lincoln -- it's still in the U.S. It's "our" game. And there would be backlash if its exported to London or wherever.

It's so stupid to think of the NFL doing this. It should be a nonstarter on so many levels.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Who gives a flying flaming fuckshit anyway?

Everybody who goes to the SB is a millionaire. If it costs them $5,000 more to make the trip, who gives a shit?

All the businesses affected (advertising, sponsorship) are multi-mega-million to billion-dollar corporations. If it costs them more money to go there, who fuckin' cares? Sure they'd lose a bunch of US sponsors, but they'd pick up a bunch of Euro business. If they lose money overall, they've got plenty.

I ain't goin', I don't give a shit. They could hold it on the boundary rim of the gas-spewing orifices of Uranus, who gives a fuck.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Like clockwork: the NFL doesn't care abut Toronto

http://www.thestar.com/sports/football/nfl/superbowl/article/1125981--kelly-nfl-s-global-dream-doesn-t-include-toronto

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/02/03/goodell-sacks-any-chance-in-near-future-for-hogtown-nfl-franchise

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

That's what a fraud Goodell is. He's from the mean streets of Bronxville, one of the most affluent communities on the continent.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I have no idea what the future of the Bills series in Toronto will be after the deal runs out after next season's game. I'm sure the Bills would love to get another huge check from Rogers, but I have no idea if that will be coming since I don't think they have seen the ROI on it so far.

Ticket sales and media coverage has been soft, the atmosphere so many people associate with Bills home games is nowhere to be found and Toronto is no closer to getting an NFL team than it was when Rogers signed the check.

Draft saved Draft deleted