1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Super Bowl commercials, what's up with that?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Oggiedoggie, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Attention paid to Super Bowl commercials has been pretty much off-the-charts in the pre-game.

There's the whole Tebow thing that's been hashed over until it's heavily hashed hash.

At least they'll end up paying for it. Which is more than can be said for the ManCrunch gay dating site that feigned outrage when their commercial was rejected (never mind the fact that their credit score was somewhere near 3.) I think they got far more bang for the buck .) from the free publicity they were able to scrounge up.

Anyway, While I was driving home from my son's half-birthday party at school, I heard a Frank Deford rant about Super Bowl commercials.

I like listening to Frank Deford. It makes me feel young.

From: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=123276295

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Commercials > Super Bowl. 100 percent.

3. mb

mb Active Member

The Super Bowl might be great, but has an excellent chance of being shitty.
    Taken as a whole, the commercials will likely be great, with just an outside chance of being shitty.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Frank is wrong about one thing. Peyton Manning will not appear in any Super Bowl commercials. His main sponsors (Sprint, MasterCard, one I forget) didn't buy time.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm just glad this game has brought about the return of two of my favorite commercials: Cut That Meat! and "The gate is narrow!"

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Other than the Tebow ad, I couldn't tell you what's running.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Sucks. Super Bowl is the only game I watch all year without the DVR. I'm virtually in convulsions by the second commercial break, and don't care how good the commercials are.

Draft saved Draft deleted