1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sunken Pressbox

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by pressboxer, May 26, 2007.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Really? Like that's stopped anyone on this board before, Buck.

This thread will reappear in August, and many will question the need for a 12-year-old boy playing before 10K fans and on national television. My favorite South Park episode is the one where all the teams are trying to lose, so they don't have to play in the state tournament any longer.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

So does anyone know why the LL World Series is in Williamsport in the first place?
    I've always wondered because I always thought LL was a bigger deal out West and in the South.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

It's because that's where Little League Baseball was born in the late 1940s, Jay. One four-team league in Williamsport.

4. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

a) electricity and phone lines so I could post inning-by-inning updates to our web site (the chain has finally discovered that people actually use those and has gone a little overboard with real-time reporting)

II) I'm one of those pasty, pasty white guys who can get blistered in the time it takes to walk in from the parking lot

3) air conditioning

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Hey, the districts and regionals, all the way to that final loss, are a lot of fun, too.

More pressure than there should be, but that 11-12 level is by far the most intense. Not the same before, and never the same after.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

SF, I think another thing that happens here is that we see 2 or 3 photos of 12-year-olds crying after a tough loss or striking out, and we think every one of them is spending two months quaking in their respective dugouts, unable to cope with the pressure.

And the truth is ... yes, the parents in the stands may be uptight. Meanwhile, the kids in the dugouts are playing a game and laughing. Even in Williamsport, actually.

7. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I've covered games at the old Durham Athletic Park, which had a sunken press box. That's the press box you see behind the batters when you watch "Bull Durham." I've been right behind the screen and had a drink slosh all over the place because of a foul ball. While it can give you an incredible view of the pitch coming in, it is a frustrating view of most of the other action.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Many years ago, we ran a photo of a 12-year-old sobbing in the dugout after a regional loss ... and he was flipping off the cameraman.

9. Ahhh kids. Aint they great!

Draft saved Draft deleted