1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sun-Times Practices Crappy Journalism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by checkswinger, Aug 4, 2010.

1. JPSS

JPSS New Member

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I'm sure Kentucky basketball fans understand that mistakes happen in newspapers.

3. JPSS

JPSS New Member

This example goes far beyond a simple mistake.

What Kentucky basketball fans do understand quite well is that this is a common occurrence where someone in a news outlet will throw out an unsubstantiated claim and see if it sticks. (it's happened at least three times this year already with nothing of substance coming out of the claims)

I don't know if this is an agenda on their part or simply a desperate attempt to generate hits to their site but it's almost like a sport at this time. Unfortunately, they know that the people that they hurt are unlikely to sue (the University because it's more trouble than its worth) and the high school kid (because they often don't have the resources to fight slander like a professional athlete would).

To many sportswriters it seems to be almost a badge of honor to be inundated with Kentucky fan's emails, but the fact that is often overlooked is that in most of those cases, it is based on faulty or at least unsubstantiated information that should never have been published in the first place. In other words its a reflection on their own poor journalistic skills and/or honor.

What's also missed by many is that by allowing their peers to participate in this type of yellow journalism and baiting without consequences, it only erodes standards and hastens the demise of professional journalism as we all once knew it.

Maybe you all will remember this when someday you're looking back and wondering what happened to a once great profession and industry ?

Jon

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

No one told me we were expecting guests.

5. Writer33

Writer33 Member

The article has been taken down.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Jon,

No. 1 -- I truly doubt that the CHICAGO Sun-Times really has an agenda against UK.

No. 2 -- I think that 99 percent of professional journalists here and elsewhere agreed that the article was poor journalism. Isn't the headline of this thread reflective of that?

No. 3 -- We can't stop our peers from publishing a bad story anymore than you can.

No. 4 -- UK hired Coach Cal baggage and all. You have to accept that certain rumors, claims, charges, etc. are part of what you get along with your 35 wins and first-round draft picks.

No. 5 -- UK was stupid to threaten to sue, giving media outlets the opportunity to report a story they probably would have avoided.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I learned early on that if you catch a rumor, go to the subject of said rumor and inquire about it.

If they say "That's bullshit," it's probably not true.

If they say "No comment," there's smoke.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

What if they say "That's a bullshit comment! No."?
    See, it's the best and worst of both worlds.

9. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

I'm curious if it actually appeared in print. There seems to be this mentality that what goes up on a Website is somehow in this ephemeral world where accountability doesn't have to exist quite so much in the way it does for stuff that appears in the paper.

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

No way! You're fucking kidding me! Really?

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think there is no chance it appeared in print as it was originally posted.

I agree there is a "good enough for the Web" mindset. To me, though, that should be for breaking news or something where you are getting information out there as you learn it and update as you go.

Not to throw out rumors and crap.

12. The article is back. With a vengance!

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/preps/2571594,CST-SPT-cruit06.article

Draft saved Draft deleted