1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sun-Times Practices Crappy Journalism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by checkswinger, Aug 4, 2010.

1. checkswinger

checkswinger Member

http://yourseason.suntimes.com/2566462,080410-anthony-davis-kentucky.article

Wow, so this Sun-Times reporter is citing "rumors/sources" when writing about a basketball recruit possibly having his services up for sale. So many questions here, such as: Why would you make that accusation without better evidence, and why would you bury it in the story?

Should this guy be fired? I don't know, seems awfully egregious to me.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Ha. I can imagine the poor father reading that in the story.

He probably thought he had a deal for $300,000.

The writer should not be fired unless he rammed it online without letting an editor see if that's policy.

Can't imagine that didn't raise some flags with an editor.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I for one do not want to see the good reputation of John Calipari soiled in this manner.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Seriously, this story exemplifies the inevitable collision of newspapers, blogs and recruiting sites. And it's not pretty.

5. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Surprised he used it as a throwaway line there, but at least he let the dad shoot it down. Considering that's their high school hoops editor/lead writer, i doubt he'll get in trouble. he's a good one too, very plugged in.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Of course he's going to shoot it down. But you can't even broach it responsibly unless you have some kind of source or information or documents or whatever beyond the rumor mill.

Would it be fair for me to do a story about Cousin Jeffrey and allow your dad to shoot down rumors of you being a cereal killer? [/bad spelling crossthread]

Being "plugged in" and being "good" aren't necessarily hand in hand.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I thought the Jonas Brothers ad in background was better.

8. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Fired? Don't think so.

9. Cousin Jeffrey

I didn't say it was a good idea, just that he won't be fired for it. He's not a stringer or a clown. just a dumb decision to include a rumor like that, even if it had legs.

Also the S-T wisely pulled it. I bet he's getting a ton of hate mail from UK folks. Thousands of emails. But hey, lot of hits on the website!

10. checkswinger

checkswinger Member

And it's all about hits! ... Right? :p

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

If you know the charge is true -- or if you have decent sourcing -- the revelation of $200K price tag is the lead. How can any editor allow this to see the light of day? Answer: There is no editing for direct-to-web stories.

12. Cousin Jeffrey

Yeah you nailed it. An editor wouldve caught this.

Draft saved Draft deleted