1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sun-Times: Happy New Year! You're fired!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Jan 4, 2008.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I once sat in while my chickenshit publisher fired someone on our staff the day before Christmas Eve.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Is there any good time to fire someone? I think not.
    Didn't the Hornets coach, Harter, get fired the day his brother died?
    Asked about it, the owner said, "I didn't know he had a brother."

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Does anyone think that a big-money guy like Ebert or Mariotti may be vulnerable?

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

No. Not a chance. Mariotti has a brand-new contract, and Ebert is even more a Sun-Times brand than Mariotti.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

We don't have that kind of luck.

6. I used to make speaker appearances for our paper, talking to students from grade school to college about journalism careers. I don't do them any more, because I can't in good conscience recommend to students that they enter journalism.

For those of us who are in, we have to decide whether to stay. It's a financial thing for most of us. If we can meet our salary requirements elsewhere, it's probably time to move.

7. I never worked at a union paper - I thought they offered more protection than this. Is there any kind of severance package?

And does anyone know if the paper did buyouts leading up to this?

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

The Guild contract does not protect Reductions in Force, or so I was told about an hour ago.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Wow, the Guild negotiated a crappy deal there. (Then again, the situation there is tenuous at best.)

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Well, it does establish a hierarchy of who's fired, I believe. Seniority, I was told, likely will win out.

11. And there's the rub with me when it comes to unions - seniority. Obviously, I'd like the job security, but if I'm dead wood the company should be allowed to move me for someone better.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

"Dead wood" can also be a 26-year old who has no concept of sports or local history and who spends half his shift surfing the web or IM-ing his buddies.

Just sayin'.

Draft saved Draft deleted