1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sun News (Kansas City, Mo.) Sports Writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Diabeetus, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Also via the MO Press Assoc. Web site:

Sun News has an immediate opening for a full-time sports reporter for a group of six weekly newspapers in the Kansas City, Mo., area.

This writer will be based in Gladstone, Mo., and will cover a mix of high school and local college athletics. Responsibilities include writing fair, accurate and well-balanced sports stories, including game coverage and features, for print and online editions; some photography using a digital camera; paginating sports pages. In addition to assigned beats, this writer also will be responsible for generating story ideas for special projects.

This position requires a highly motivated, energetic, detail-oriented team player with excellent news judgment. This person must have strong interpersonal skills and be willing to work closely with other reporters, photographers and editors in a collaborative newsroom environment. The ideal candidate will have one year of experience writing sports content for a daily or weekly newspaper and will be familiar with AP style. Knowledge of InDesign required. A bachelor’s degree in journalism or a related field is preferred.

To apply, please send resume, cover letter and examples of work to amyneal@npgco.com or mail to: Amy Neal, Managing Editor, Sun News, P.O. Box 28100, Gladstone, MO 64188.

PM me with questions on the area.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

A job so nice, we had to post about it twice?

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Where's the other one? One is an SE, the other is a reporter. Ain't the same job unless I'm missing a thread, which could be the case.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Oh, wait, we're supposed to read the WHOLE thread title?

Dammit, no one told me.

*slinking away*

5. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Shit, PM me too. First time I was ever pulled over was in Gladstone. Fuckin' Gladstone city cops. I hit the curb, I was so nervous. Cop thought I was drunk, but no. It's your chance to cover Keith Ross' archaic offense at Oak Park that Rockhurst, Blue Springs and Blue Springs South have left far in their wake.

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Not exactly sure how these papers are going to be run, but Mark Dewar, the longtime SE on the Kansas side, is extremely good people. Gave me a lot of really good advice while I was in high school and my first couple years of college.

7. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

is Mark still there?

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

Appears so...

http://www.kccommunitynews.com/articles/2008/02/21/overland_park_sun/sports/doc47bc94d416524483333585.txt

9. spud

spud Member

So how exactly does this work? Are you just employed by the owner of the six weeklies? Does that mean you're working through six different newsrooms or is there some centralized office?

10. MU_was_not_so_hard

They've had a central office on the Kansas side. I'd assume they'd do the same for Missouri.

11. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Spud: I know they've got an office in Gladstone, and since it says the writer would be based there, I'd guess that would be your main place.

12. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Good ole Gladstone. My grandparents live there. That's all I really have to offer other than Gladstone cops are ridiculous and Antioch Mall might as well be torn down since there are three stores left there.

Draft saved Draft deleted