1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Summer wrestling column

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by LemMan, Jul 14, 2006.

1. LemMan

LemMan Member

Hey all...

Swing away.

http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradenton/sports/columnists/john_lembo/15034349.htm

2. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

Not bad.
    But the thing that caught me was the simile in lede was wrong.

The tradition grabs you like a half-nelson. It grabs you early, the second you step into the foyer of Manatee High's gymnasium.

You don't grab somebody in a half-nelson.
    You can grab somebody in a full-nelson, in which you have your arms hooked under both of your opponent's and snaked up around back of their neck. It's also a move that's illegal in high school wrestling.
    The half-nelson, in which slide your arm under just one of their arms, is less of a hold in which you would grab somebody with and more a means to roll the guy over from their stomach onto their back for a pin.
    It's a matter of technical jargon and many readers may have read right past it, but I found it a little jarring.

3. TheHandOfGod

TheHandOfGod New Member

It does stop you, if you know the lingo, Jay. But like you said, I'd imagine most read right over it. That's what I hope happens whenever I make mistakes.

Draft saved Draft deleted