1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Summer softball gamer

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by Derek_W, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Derek_W

Derek_W Guest

Just thought I'd post this for feedback. It's a story from yesterday that I wrote. Constructive criticism is welcomed!

--------------------------

NEW ULM — New Ulm Blue 16-Under pitcher Janet Duehlmeyer may not have been in top form Saturday evening, but she had a good reason.

Only two hours earlier, the Minnesota Valley Lutheran student had gotten home from a 12-day school history tour that included stops in Gettysburg, Philadelphia and Washington D.C.

There was no time for Duehlmeyer to settle back in at home, however — there was a softball game to pitch.

The softball game unfortunately didn’t go as smoothly as the history trip did, as Blue fell 6-0 to Xtreme in the New Ulm Windmill Classic at Harman Park.

The loss dropped Blue to 1-3 on the day. After opening tournament play with a 7-1 loss to Martin County West, Blue came back with a 9-1 victory over Eastview before narrowly falling 3-2 to Woodbury.

Duehlmeyer took the loss in the final game against Xtreme, which went four innings due to time limits. She scattered seven hits and three walks.

“It was a little weird,” Duehlmeyer said of her sudden transition from 12-day trip to softball tournament. “We were on a bus, so I got off the bus and then I was like, ‘Okay, go get ready for softball!’”

“It’s a little tiring,” she admitted.

After scoring one run in the first inning, Xtreme took advantage of four New Ulm errors in the second inning to take a 4-0 lead. It tacked on two more runs in the fourth inning.

“I think we need to do more talking in the field — I think that’s a big part of it,” Duehlmeyer said.

While Xtreme was busy taking advantage of Blue miscues on defense, the New Ulm offense could get very little started against Xtreme pitcher Kendra Roth. Roth struck out five and walked two, allowing only one hit. Her two walks both came in the fourth inning.

“She was good,” Duehlmeyer said. “She threw a pretty good changeup and her timing was key.”

Robyn Portner had Blue’s only hit of the game.

Megan Sjostrom was the winning pitcher for New Ulm in its 9-1 win over Eastview. Brittnay Wall was 2-for-3 in that game with a triple, double and two RBIs, while Megan Forst was 2-for-2 with four RBIs and a home run. Her home run came in the fourth inning, and followed a third inning in which Blue racked up five runs.

Portner and Kelsey Cordes both went 2-for-3 in the loss to Woodbury, which scored the winning run in the bottom of the fifth inning.

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

You missed a chance to have lots of Gettysburg Address, Liberty Bell and capital puns throughout the article.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

4. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

While DP's suggestions regarding the many possible puns on America's Parade of History are sound, I have posted a line edit above that may prove to be of more immediate use to you.

The central issue in the piece is why you only speak to, and quote, the pitcher who came off that bus trip. Was her fatigue central to the team's going one and three for the tournament? I would assert not. I would further assert that the piece sounds as if she was the only player you spoke to, which is problematic.

More pointedly, she disappears - her story disappears by the end of the piece. So why does she begin it?

If she's important enough to lede with, she's important enough to finish with. Even in a gamer.

"Find the end in the beginning" is the best piece of advice I can give a writer of sports features.

Thanks for posting. I hope this helps.

5. Derek_W

Derek_W Guest

Thanks for the feedback, jgmacg!  You definitely brought up some points I should have considered/addressed.

Edit: I'll probably post a lengthier response to your suggestions, but I'm a bit short on time at the moment.
    :)

Draft saved Draft deleted