1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Summer school valedictorians: The running NIT thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by OnTheRiver, Mar 14, 2010.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

By the way, last night was my first time visiting MSG - strangely unimpressive. It was like a giant 1970s grey slab multipurpose arena, or at least it felt that way. The displays and exterior of the building, and the area around it, is really neat to walk around. But the actual inside feels like it could use a major upgrade.

That being said, I loved being able to watch both games, and the ushers were REALLY light on checking tickets. Two friends and I started in the 300s with a $10 ticket. By halftime of the first game, we were in 115. And for the entire URI vs. UNC game, we were two rows from the baseline. That part was sweet.

2. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Oh, yeah ... like the brain surgeons who call in to the Packman's "Whiner Line" ... the same three guys every day, apparently.

3. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Talk on campus yesterday was that if UNC wins the NIT tonight, the students should rush Rosemary Street instead of Franklin. While I doubt there will much rushing of anything -- people are excited the team is playing better, but not that excited -- I think it would be pretty funny if the kids took Rosemary instead.

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Now, that is funny.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Actually, it's a multipurpose arena that opened in 1968 and has been renovated 2 or 3 times since. The ineterior actually looks pretty good for a 42-year old building...except for the rather narrow concourses.
    What exactly do you think it's missing?

6. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

A Facebook friend joked that they should try to take I-40.

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

To me, it felt like rings of concrete slab with seats on them. I have no idea how you improve on that, to be honest - I don't have a ton of experience with arenas. I guess I'm just spoiled by URI's Ryan Center, which seemed to be designed with basketball in mind. MSG definitely felt like an older, multi-purpose arena to me, and I'm not sure how you "fix" it without ripping a bunch of shit up and throwing some decks in, which I'm sure would piss off everyone who saw some history there, as opposed to appeasing punk 26-year-old out-of-towners like me :)

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Only if it's the middle of RTP during rush hour.

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Tough nite for NC but they made a hell of a run through the tourney, overcoming deficits in every game except the finals vs. Dayton.
    Talk is, this is the end of the line for the NIT when they expand the field.

Draft saved Draft deleted