1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Summer Article Ideas for small town USA

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Long Snapper, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Long Snapper

Long Snapper New Member

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. We've got a few golf courses around so that will be huge. Like the road race idea a lot too. Definitely have seen some races around that haven't gotten that much coverage -- but they definitely should. Also, Mauve Avenger, I love the user name. Great episode

2. TexasVet

TexasVet Active Member

Catching up with former athletes in a weekly "Where are they now" segment. Maybe even in a Q&A format. Those are good space fillers in down time and during holidays.

Long Snapper likes this.
  3. Long Snapper

Long Snapper New Member

Thanks for the reply. Definitely think this would be great for us because there's been some good athletes from the area -- especially in the past

4. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

We try to do a weekly "adventure" during the summer.

We use that term rather loosely, but we want it to run Fridays and, in my head, people see it and think, "Oh, that's something I can do this weekend."

It doesn't suck that we get to try it out first. We do hiking trails, or near-by day trips ... think mountain bike trails, road cycling routes, fishing the river, camping trips. Call some outfitters in the area and a lot of time they'll hook you up with, worst case, advice. Best case, they'll let you tag along on a trip or something.

Long Snapper and Ace like this.
  5. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

Cast a net for anyone who does outside-the-box events, like adventure racing or marathons or triathlons or ironman competitions.

Long Snapper likes this.
  6. Long Snapper

Long Snapper New Member

Thanks for the replies. Would definitely like to get involved with some activities and experience the story. Also a big fan of the outside-the-box ideas. I see a rodeo coming up in late June I want to try out with that in mind. Have never seen ironman competitions in person, so that would be great too

7. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Be very careful with anything written in first person. After all, as spnited used to say, "We are not the story. We are the story tellers." It might be an opportunity to try out a GoPro and get (nauseating) video hits on the site though!

Also, don't treat these events like "oh wow, look at this cool new thing!" just because they're new to you. Spartan Race, Warrior Dash, even basic 5K have been growing rapidly, which would let you get both national and local statistics and put it all in context. Have you looked at how high the entry fees are? There's big $$$ made at some of those local events.

Long Snapper likes this.
  8. Long Snapper

Long Snapper New Member

Appreciate the advice. Great points there

Draft saved Draft deleted