1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Suggestions on a court order

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HandsomeHarley, Dec 11, 2007.

1. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

We're being sued by a collection agency over a $4,000 bill that we can't afford to pay (or even make payments on) right now.

Had I been working, of course, we'd be fine. But I'm thinking I won't be employed until the spring.

Anyway, we have to show up in court on Dec. 20 (yeah, I know, five days before Christmas).

Should I show up? Should I call an attorney? I don't know (and can't afford) one. How do I find an attorney? Do I show up and throw myself at the mercy of the court? Do I ignore it? Would we be arrested?

The last time this happened, I called the attorney representing the collection agency. He told me not to worry about showing up and set up a payment plan, but I couldn't afford the payments (my wife was still in school at the time). They then garnished my wages and the local sheriff (a friend) told me he shouldn't have told me to ignore the court case.

I've never been caught in trouble with the law before in my life. Any suggestions?

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Show up or they win by default.
    Work out a payment plan of some sort. If not ask for an extension (and you may have to show your finances to prove you need an extension).
    Since you dont have the cash, call your local Legal Aid and see if they can help or if they can point you in the right direction.

Draft saved Draft deleted