1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Suggestions for the Super Bowl

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

The only reason the game ended early was because the Giants controlled the clock and ran the ball. I fully expected to see the game end at 10:30--too late for east coast kids and some early risers in my opinion.

Not a huge Mushnick fan, but his (Friday? Thursday?) column last week pointed out that as little as 10 years ago, game time was 5 pm. Still get the game in in prime time and you have a resonable end time. I think starting at 5-5:30 is reasonable.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

There really is no reason for the game to be played in prime time on the East Coast. People will watch the game no matter what. Maybe move kickoff up to 5:30 or 6 Eastern.

3. MileHigh

The Rams-Steelers Super Bowl? No way. That game was played in Pasadena, which would have meant a 10 a.m. local time kickoff. Didn't happen. Plus, that game ended under the lights.

4. They definitely need to make some changes to boost the sagging popularity.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You are right. I got my time zones backwards.

I do remember the sun setting during the game, so it was probably a 3:30 or 3 p.m. kickoff.

6. 93Devil

But if it was played on Saturday, you do not have the starting time issues.

7. Giants-Patriots Super Bowl the second most-watched TV show ever

Associated Press

NEW YORK -- The New York Giants' thrilling win over the New England Patriots was the most-watched Super Bowl ever, with 97.5 million viewers, Nielsen Media Research said Monday.

The game eclipsed the previous Super Bowl record of 94.08 million, set when Dallas defeated Pittsburgh in 1996. More people watched Sunday's game than all but one American television broadcast ever, the "M-A-S-H" finale in 1983, which was seen by 106 million viewers.

8. 93Devil

So for 10 years it was not improving.

This was a perfect storm of teams. but what if next year's game is San Diego and Philadelphia. Trust me, the raitings will be much, much lower.

9. MileHigh

Did a bit of digging. Starting with Bills-Giants is when the games started with the 6-6:30 starting time, and it's been that way ever since, so that's 17 years.
    From Super Bowl XII to Super Bowl XXIV, start times were between 4 and 6 p.m. Eastern, with the 6 p.m. starts mostly coming with games on the West Coast.
    Before Super Bowl XII, start times were mid-afternoon Eastern, anywhere from 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m., except Super Bowl I, which started at 4 Eastern.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I've always wished for, in vain and some say stupidly, the college national championship game to be played during the off week prior to the Super Bowl, since the NFL seems so damned intent on having a two-week break.

11. 93Devil

Thanks Mile High.

But if I was a Giants fan, there is no way I would go right to bed after the game. Give the people a chance to stay up and enjoy it. Even if you just watched it at home with your kids. I would rewatch that entire fourth quarter on the Tivo, and I would smile ear-to-ear every time the Patriots pounded their chests for making a mundane play.

I'm telling you, a Saturday game would make a lot of sense.

12. 93Devil

If the Super Bowl was played on the third Sunday/Saturday in January, that could happen.

Draft saved Draft deleted