1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Suggestions for rail travel in Ontario & Quebec

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HC, Mar 20, 2007.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I was recently given a $ 100 gift certificate for Via Rail. I can cash in some Air Miles for another $ 300 worth. I'd like to take JR on a long weekend vacation and since we both love travelling by train this seems ideal. I'm considering using them for a train trip to New York City unless I can come up with something better.

Any suggestions for particularly scenic trips from Toronto?

2. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I've always wanted to go from Toronto to Vancouver (or vice-versa)--it's supposed to be one of the best rail trips in the world. You might not have the time for that though.

If you decide to take a rail trip in the states, let me know as I've done a few. I love taking the train when I can.

3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I'd love to do that trip, especially since Vancouver is my home town. Unfortunately, it's about $ 3,000 each if you want a sleeper car and $ 1,800 if you're willing to sleep sitting up for a couple of days.

4. Jones

Jones Active Member

The problem is getting out of Toronto. Everywhichway is ass.

That being said, you two lovebirds could do up Quebec City pretty nicely. Train to Montreal is about four hours, and not bad once you're past Oshawa. Montreal to Quebec City is rural, not too shabby.

Coolest train trip I've taken is Chicago to New Orleans. Overnight but lots of fun. Course, you might be killed once you get to New Orleans, but the po' boys are good.

There again, Toronto-Chicago, not so nice. I mean, Gary, Indiana, for fuck's sake.

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

We've discussed Montreal but since I lived there for 4 years I'm not that keen. QC would be okay. We can't afford real vacations so I'd like this trip to be short but special (kind of like my prom date).

6. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

I've done the drive by car a couple of times from a couple of hours west of Toronto to just south of Calagary. We looked into going by rail and the cost to travel with four made it a road trip.

How far is Chicago by rail? 21 could fill you in on places there.

Say Jones, if you are heading west out of Toronto by car it's easy. Just aim for the Big Nickel.

Edit: I need more Diet Coke. Saw what Jones said. Scratch Chicago.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

HC is a sweetheart but she never told me she didn't want to go to Montreal but I'm always up for Quebec City.

I'm thinking Toronto/Windsor so we can hit the peeler bars.

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

So now that I'm going alone, I can travel further on my money. :D

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

How is the Big Nickel west of Toronto? Unless it's moved since I was there two weeks ago...

10. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

I figure that if you want to drive west from Toronto across Canada you can go through Sudbury, which is northwest, but still kinda west. Aim for the Big Nickel. Or something like that.

The last time I was through there was three years ago now, the first being close to thirty. This summer I'll be going by there again. It looks a lot different than it did. The area, not the Nickel.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I've only been to the 'bury for hockey in the winter but I wouldn't mind going there in the summer (same with the Soo). You can have a damn good time in both those places (especially on a Sudbury Saturday Night).

12. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Toronto to Kingston makes a nice long weekend, especilly in late spring to allow a bike ride on Wolfe Island

Draft saved Draft deleted