1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Suggestions for headline fonts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DrewWilson, Jul 17, 2006.

1. DrewWilson

DrewWilson Member

My paper is in serious need of a headline font change. It's pretty much the one thing holding back our sports section from being pretty solid as far as design (and that's the fault of the entire paper, not sports).

Any suggestions for headline fonts and subhead fonts? Right now we use variations of ITC Franklin Gothic. We try to go for the small metro look in sports, if that helps.

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Courier Bold, Courier Italic and flat-out Courier.

The Holy Trinity.

3. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Bodoni

4. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

We stick with Times bold and light for almost anything bigger than 24p. Under that, we do a slim little ITC Franklin, but that thing's pretty ugly for anything bigger than that. Dye, Courier? Really? Maybe my version is different, but that looks real goofy, and I figured a "Keep it Simple, Stupid" type like you would want more normal, traditional, easy stuff.

5. Doctor Jones

Doctor Jones Member

I think he's joking!

And at my shop... We use Times primarily, then sometimes I like to use Garamond Narrow... We used to use Helvetica, but i finally got them to get rid of that, for the most part... nastiest font in the world...can't make a large head at all with it...

6. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Foils! Cursed again!

And yeah, helvetica is naaaaasty.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Symbol, Webdings and Wingdings (all three versions)

8. ARD

ARD Member

Comic Sans FTW!

OK, not really: Are you looking for a serif or a sans face?

9. DrewWilson

DrewWilson Member

Just options really. We need a solid sans serif for a slam head and a lighter font other heads. As far as subheads, any suggestions would do.

Meat, would "Gladiator" look nice in a wingding font? (/inside joke)

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Try "Warrior Poet" and "Spring Bok" first.

11. donaugust

donaugust Member

I was at a weekly once where we used Garamond Narrow as a body font. We also used it for headlines but other than the T and W, I was never blown away by that family.

You should go serif if at all possible ... though I must say I do like Impact.

12. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Impact is a good headline for your centerpiece or lead story. It sets it off from everything else. But the impact question mark ... yikes.

Draft saved Draft deleted