1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Suggestion from a publisher

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Here is my suggestion, if you don't want to hear an answer you may not like then don't ask the question.

As it is you are stuck.

But why not actually call them mom or sister and get a quote from them and make the most of it? They may have something to add to the story.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I tell people to fuck off when I have the hammer in hand to back it up, not when I'm staring down the barrel of Harry Callahan's .44 Magnum, the Most Powerful Handgun In The World.

3. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

What's wrong with teachers anyway? Aside from their city salary and pensions. And their nice medical and retirement packages. And their two and a half months of vacation. Oh wait and their 10 weeks during the school year worth of holidays and vacation weeks. And their doing it for the love of teaching children, unless they don't get more vacation or a bump up in pay.

Screw the draft pick. Write about the mom and sis who are part of a union that wants to rule the world.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'm with Bob Slydell: The publisher said "if you like," am I right? If so, what's the BFD? If it's really irrelevant to the story, don't print their names. Having said that, I'm sure there IS relevance. Perhaps momma would be able to shed some insights into her son the ballplayer that might spice up your profile peace.

If one of my reporters went straight to my publisher like you did without consulting me on the story, I'd have a serious chat with him or her about doing that. If you're a reporter, go to your sports editor. If you're the sports editor, go to your ME. If you're the managing editor, go to the editor in chief or whatever you call the boss editor. If you're the boss editor, isn't it your call to begin with?

If he said "you HAVE to put it in or the piece doesn't run," then you bitch. Or do what I do: Roll my eyes and do what I was planning to do anyway. And just in case you're wondering: I got a $3,000 raise this year...

5. I guess I should have used the blue font.

Since you initiated the note to the publisher, then it would probably be in your best interest to include the suggestion the publisher sent back.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

See, this is something else I don't get. Maybe it's the weekly thing.

Why would you E-mail the publisher about this in the first place? Do you E-mail him with the score of last Thursday's teener game?

7. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

I'm having trouble finding the score of last Thursday's teener game through the site's archives, FWIW. Do you have to have an all-access pass to acquire that stuff?

8. printdust

printdust New Member

Maybe the publisher is a lot like some EEs, who on occasion bounce through your department pointing to some obscure shit in yesterday's paper, or to make it even better, a paper from two weeks ago, and asks some question beginning with "WTF did you....

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Community weekly?

It wouldn't do any harm to mention the family. Pick your battles carefully.

10. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I am sorry you have a hard-on for teachers.

Being a teacher and all.

And I agree, why e-mail him?

If you hate him so much, leave.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

what ace said.

12. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Exactly. This is not worth the hand grenades you want to toss. Let the publisher win this hill.

Draft saved Draft deleted