1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Suggested motor sports reading

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by enigami, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Are you kidding? The former was one of the worst books I've ever had the displeasure to pick up. All he proved was that he had plenty of cassettes and fresh batteries. That "written work" followed on the heels of a book poorly researched and ridden with inaccuracies.

DO read David Poole,Monte Dutton and Jenna Fryer (proof that not all AP stories are dry, generic and without some meat on the bone). DO NOT touch anything "written" by Golenbock.

2. Jones

Jones Active Member

Who knew that motorsports literature would be the jagged blade that so tore us apart?

For what it's worth, I've read one motorsports book, and it's MacGregor's. Terrific writer, terrific guy -- one of the best in the business on all fronts.

3. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

another worth taking a look at is Wide Open: Days and Nights on the NASCAR tour by Shaun Assael. Basically, he followed around three seperate drivers/ teams for the 1996 season and it has some pretty good insight in it.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm reading "Cheating" by Tom Jensen, a history of how Cup drivers and teams have skirted the rules and how the circuit has tried to keep them in check. It's 6-7 years old but is interesting nowadays with seemingly every other driver getting whacked this season.

5. John Newsom

John Newsom Member

Ditto on Neal Thompson's "Driving with the Devil." It's a good primer on NASCAR's early moonshining history and some of the original stars who aren't talked about much anymore. MacGregor's book is hit and miss - there's a lot of gee-whiz-those-cars-sure-do-drive-fast bits to it, and calling his wife "The Beep" really rubbed me the wrong way. But it's more ambitious than just about every other racin' book out there, and some of the driver and fan vignettes are damned funny.

And yeah, I know it's not a book, but Junior's "Back in the Day" shows on Speed Channel are worth a glance just to see how much racin' has changed over the past three or four decades. The turn-left-driver-fast approach hasn't changed, but just about everything else about NASCAR looks a lot different.

Draft saved Draft deleted