1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Suffolk Journal made a huge mistake

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

A placeholder subhead that included "dumb fuckers" slipped through the editing process and wound up in the paper.

http://jimromenesko.com/2012/02/02/suffolk-journal-apologizes-for-profane-headline/

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Oooooooooooooooooooops...

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

That's known as a "career ending mistake"

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

At a college paper? Come on.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Oops ... thought it was a regular daily.

Sorry folks, my copy editor cap doesn't come on until 3 p.m. :)

Still, as a rule, it's better to use xocbxhcxyasnsco as your placeholder hed.

6. LongTimeListener

Agreed, but it's one of the greatest things about the news business that people don't do that.

7. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Do placeholders work XXX or curse word make a difference? We had a screw-up where a soccer all-star team ran with the templated bug that said "boys hockey." The desker said he'd make sure he changed the template to xxx so it wouldn't happen again. I said so the paper just would have said xxx instead of hockey?

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

It'd be better to have the "XXXXX" or "hyhyhy" (my standard) because at least you're not misleading readers. And the "hyhyhy" or "XXXXX" is also a hell of a lot easier to notice as wrong.

Also, that Suffolk Journal error is mostly funny. It's a college paper. Everyone in college has heard "fuck," and there aren't many if any young children reading the paper.

9. LongTimeListener

1) XXXXXXXXXX is embarrassing to the paper but isn't misleading to the reader or downright offensive -- and in the infamous case of "Dixon sucks donkey dicks," libelous -- to the subject.

2) You put XXXXXXXXXX because as you're scanning the final proofs, it's going to jump out at you. "Boys' hockey," as you're giving it a final once-over, just looks like type.

10. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Hilarious.

11. writingump

writingump Member

Oops times 50.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

this.

"Ganter wants Michigan State head job" just doesn't jump out at you on proofs.

Trust me.

Draft saved Draft deleted