1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Successful Broadcast Dude tells Berkeley Journalism Grads to Stick With It

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Piotr Rasputin, May 17, 2011.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/notrocketscience/2011/05/12/%E2%80%9Cthere-are-some-people-who-don%E2%80%99t-wait-%E2%80%9D-robert-krulwich-on-the-future-of-journalism/

First part is the old treacle about how "Legendary Journalist Everyone Has Heard Of!" made it, transitioning into sort-of personal stories, into the standard "Rah-Rah! You're Gonna Make It!" graduation speech stuff.

Telling this generation of young graduates to come up with their own thing is probably the best way to go, since they really can't trust large corporations to hold them up. But this is also very reminiscent of the late 1990s, when everyone thought they were going to establish an online startup and be rich.

2. I don't know how I feel about the advice, but Radio Lab is one of the best things going in journalism, and I nearly went so far as to mention it in the other day on that 'Name your favorite journalists' thread.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Stick with it and a small number of you will do very well. It's an inspirational speech. I don't expect commencement addresses to be buzz-kills.

Draft saved Draft deleted