1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Subway to begin serving pizza; Dunkin' Donuts to follow?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Perry White, Apr 9, 2007.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

First Blimbie's i was in was somewhere on the Jersey shore, Wildwood I think. It was great, but that was 30 years ago.
    I was in one outside of Baltimore a few years ago and it was no better than Subway, which means it was edible but nothing more.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Pepe's. Thanks for the reminder, could not remember the name.

My future wife and I went about 10 years ago, after a New Haven Ravens game. We were seriously amped for the pizza...and seriously disappointed. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't much better than your neighborhood place in a NYC suburb.

Others obviously feel differently, but we weren't impressed at all.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Ragu, you have to stay in the County of Kings, hop on the Q train and go to DiFara's next time you want to get back on the pizza. It was my local pizza joint growing up and I remember when it was $1.50 for two slices and a small soda with a student ID. 25 years later, and it's ranked in Zagat's at the best pizza in NYC.

4. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Maybe you'd be more of a Sally's family then. It's the rivalry as much as anything that gives those places their cachet. And the fact that for years there was nothing else to do in New Haven.

5. I've eaten McPizza a few times. This was well before my anti-McDonald's stance came about in 2004.

I thought the pie was analogous to a cheap, microwave pizza.

I had a pizza at Panera last week and it was lovely.

6. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

NYCers and their pizza hubris...pffft. Get back to me after you've had pizza from Italy. Nothing tops a 5 Euro Margherita pizza followed by 2-5 scoops of gelatto for dessert. This comes from someone who has a sister living in NYC and has eaten some very good pizza there, but it just doesn't compare.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Will Jarred be pitching the Subway pizzas too or will he just stay with the sandwiches? :)

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Webster, I think I have ridden the Q train once in my life and that might have been by accident. On the list of subway lines that play no role in my life, it ranks slightly ahead of the G train, which near as I can tell makes a loop around South Dakota and doesn't come anywhere near anyplace I ever am.

If I ever start eating cheese again, though, I will search out DiFara's. I used to be a slice connoisseur. I just can't regulate pizza. I can't have a slice. I eat 10 slices. So I decided at some point to just have none. Hardest, but smartest, thing I ever did. Dairy doesn't sit all that great with me either. Tastes great going down, makes me feel sluggish afterward. I swear cheese is an opiate, and a habit I needed to kick to save myself.

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Ragu -- I grew up around the corner from the Ave. H station for what is now the Q train. All the kids and a surprising number of adults used to sneak on the train for free through a hole in the fence. Way back when, it was the M train and the D train. The QB was the special rush hour express. Then it became the D and the Q. I've never ridden the G or the L. I believe that the G is the only train which goes from Brooklyn to Queens without hitting Manhattan.

As to DiFara's -- an excellent slice. It's a little strange that about all the press that it has gotten, but that's NYC.

10. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

KRAMER: I think it's over. We had a big fight, she threw me out, I started walkin', and now I'm lost downtown! I don't have any money. I don't recognize anybody. I miss home, and I don't even know how to get there.

One my favourite scenes:

JERRY: What's around you?

KRAMER: I'm lookin' at Ray's Pizza. You know where that is?

JERRY: Is it Famous Ray's?

KRAMER: No. It's Original Ray's.

JERRY: Famous Original Ray's?

KRAMER: It's just Original, Jerry!

JERRY: Well, what street are you on?

KRAMER: Hey, I'm on first and first. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.

11. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Haven't had the courage to order a Subway pizza yet, nor have I seen anyone around me order one.

12. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

They're bringing tacos, taco salads and Red BurritosTM in my area. Don't ask, I've never tried.

Draft saved Draft deleted