1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Subpoenas

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RedCanuck, Aug 1, 2007.

1. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

A news-side friend was called to say he'd receive a subpoena to testify in a criminal case. In this case, he took photos of a public demonstration. The photos have been handed over as part of a search warrant. In this case, he's not being asked to hand over any notes, sources, or confidential material.

Has anyone been through something like this? Are there any rights he should be aware of when this is issued - i.e. compensation for lost work, travel, etc? I realize it is different from state-to-state and country-to-country... but if you have any basic pointers, that'd be appreciated.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Does your company have a lawyer? If so, that's his first stop.

3. beanpole

beanpole Member

If he's being subpoenaed as part of his work, then his job should consider all trial preparation and court time to be on the clock, of course.

However, in papers I've worked at he shouldn't have to go to court at all. The paper's attorney need only prepare an affidavit saying that your friend took the photos, he attests to their accuracy and can't testify to anything beyond that. Usually those affidavits are readily accepted by the court in lieu of an appearance.

Draft saved Draft deleted