1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Style question: I-AA

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Shaggy, Jun 25, 2007.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

You're right, it's actually the Football Bowl Subdivision.

See, I'm wrong enough by accident.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

One Double A.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I used to cover I-AA, so I can appreciate how folks at those schools would be sensitive to people who called it 1-AA or Double-A football or Division 2, for crying out loud. I also thought it was irresponsible of reporters who would use "Division I school" in a story as a distinction between I-A and I-AA schools. Both groups are Division I schools.

So truth be told, a lot of reporters couldn't even get it right the old way. Still, it's going to be wrong and confusing and a pain in the ass this way too.

4. dargan

dargan Active Member

So in a story it might say..."Texas produced 361 NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision recruits in the class of 2007."

Correct?

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

This sounds like a change made so the I-AA players won't feel like they're not special enough to play I-A.

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Clumsy, isn't it. But it is what it is.

Edit: For fat, "clumbsy" fingers.

7. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Idea was in part to stop us (the sports media) from referring to it as Division II and I-A schools as Division I.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Correctamundo, Appgrad05.

Wait, can I get a style ruling on correctamundo?

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I-AA only affected football, correct? Wouldn't it have been better to do targeted education to the small percentage of media outlets that cover I-AA football programs?

10. Johnny Dangerously

Perhaps you haven't noticed, but sports writers don't respond well to targeted education, Cadet. For example, I once attended a seminar on Title IX with some of them. Oh, my ...

;)

Also, most of the errors of style occurred in stories written by I-A writers. The I-AA writers generally knew their stuff on the issue, I found.

11. champ

champ New Member

It also was becuase football is the only sport where there was distintion in Division I, so they wanted to get football in the name. A I-AA football school can still send a men's basketball team to the same postseason tournament as Duke and Kentucky, and people were thinking the distinction applied to all sports.

12. champ

champ New Member

It would probablu be better to lump them together and say "Texas produced 385 Division I recruits ..."

Draft saved Draft deleted