1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Style question for outdoors writers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Flip Wilson, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

We were talking about AP style in class today and one of my students posed a question that stumped me. Not being a hunter, I had no idea what he was talking about until he explained it.

He asked the correct style for writing about a deer's antlers. It seems different antlers are IDed as G3, G4 and the like. Should it be G3, G-3 or something else. The only thing that came to mind that was similar was the spaces on a chess board.

Your help is appreciated.

2. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Our outdoor writer says individual points, or tines, on a deer's antlers are indeed identified as G2, G3, G4 to assist in "scoring" the antlers for record books.

Maybe you could find a writer in your area to call and double-check or Google "deer antler scoring" for more help.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

This is the style I've seen.

(But, adding or subtracting the hyphen isn't going to confuse the reference.)

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

agree with everyone else so far - G2, G3, G4, etc.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Just change it to "nice rack."

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Frank, next time I'm on the road, I'll use that line.
    "Hi! How are you? Woh. What a nice G4!"

7. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Thanks for the help; nice rack is what came to my mind as well. FWIW, the kid who asked the question has an older sister who played softball when I was stringing. Not saying that her and nice rack couldn't be used in the same sentence, but I'm just saying.

Anywho, our local daily doesn't have an outdoors writer anymore, and my Google search turned up about equal entries for G3 and G-3.

Thanks again.

Draft saved Draft deleted