1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stupid team-building exercises..

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, May 19, 2008.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm always a skeptic of this stuff. Most of the time it ends up as dick-swinging contests.

This article highlights some of the more egregious examples of sheer idiocy.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080519.wlextreme19/BNStory/lifeWork/home

This is my hands-down favourite though:

When Provo, Utah office worker Chad Hudgens volunteered for a team-building exercise last May, he was expecting something like an egg toss. Instead, his co-workers pinned him down while his supervisor poured water over his nose and mouth - a torture technique that simulates drowning, known as waterboarding. According to The Washington Post, the supervisor said afterward, "You saw how hard Chad fought for air right there. I want you to go back inside and fight that hard to make sales." Mr. Hudgens is suing the company.

Just think if they used that as an incident on The Office. Everyone would have accused the show of jumping the shark.

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Aw, come on, JR, they're just trying to shift paradigms and build corporate synergy....

You know how teams are built? Day after day, in the trenches, dealing with crises, celebrating wins. Not with silly one-off games and events.

I wonder if Mr Hudgens will hold team building exercises when he owns the company he now works for.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Eh, it's Idaho. What do you expect?

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Dave's a killer!

Dave's a mess.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Isn't the thread title redundant?

6. Flash

Flash Guest

In sports and college, they call that shit 'hazing.'

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

There's a difference?

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Idaho has elk? Is that something Uma can cure for him?

Draft saved Draft deleted