1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stupid question -- French blue shirts

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by UNCGrad, May 22, 2012.

1. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

A good look, or only-rednecks-like-Drakkar kind of thing to wear anymore?

I have a nice French blue buttondown I could wear with my suit (got a second-visit interview tomorrow), but every time I go to a wedding or something formal, French Blue Shirt Guy seems to stand out, and not in a good way. Thoughts?

(And yes, the nerves of continuing though a prolonged interview process for what could be a great get are beginning to wear on me. Sorry.)

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I never wear mine with a tie, but I still like wearing the shirt with a blazer or a suit/no-tie look.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I hate them with a passion.

Edit: never mind. Just googled. I thought we were talking about the blue shirts with the white collar and cuffs. Whatever those are called, I hate THOSE with a passion. I call them "the Tubby."

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If that color is out of style then fuck style.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

If you took away blue, you'd wipe out 50 percent of my clothes.

6. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I've got 50 shades of blue shirts

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I still call it the Jesse Jackson -- because I remember him wearing that shirt when he gave his famous speech at the 1984(?) Democratic Convention.

8. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I just get frustrated by clothing designers' lack of consensus on what constitutes French blue. Sometimes it's the color of Violet Beauregarde plumping into a blueberry and other times it's essentially Oxford blue.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

See, I like blue shirts because they work with my eyes, although I'm not exactly sure what "French" blue is. i will check.

I agree on the two-tone shirts. I had a CEO who wore them non-stop in the mid-90s. If I see one, I assume there's a douchebag inside it.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

French blue is just a more saturated blue. Not a pale blue, but a good, strong blue. From what I could tell, anyway.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Oh, I know the color you mean. It's the favored shirt among 35-year-old middle managers here in NYC. I see 600 of them on the train every morning. They're usually matched with a $250 gray suit from Mens Wearhouse and a pair of rubber-souled black "dress shoes" with squared off toes.

12. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

And THIS is my worry.

Draft saved Draft deleted