1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stupid question alert: What the heck is a widget?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by xX OnTheEdge Xx, Dec 30, 2007.

1. I keep seeing "Add widget" on all of these web sites and for the life of me, I can't figure out what these little buggers are for? If anyone wouldn't mind droppin some knowledge on me, I'd appreciate it. ???

2. Widget

A standardized on-screen representation of a control that may be manipulated by the user. Scroll bars, buttons, and text boxes are all examples of widgets.

3. OK, thanks. But, what's the purpose of it? I'm probably being dense, and I hate that because I love to make fun of the dense. :)

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

They're these little floating icons you can have on your desktop. You might have one that's a clock, one that scrolls sports scores, one that shows the current weather report, that kind of thing.

5. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I had a Spider-Man 3 widget which had a countdown to the movie's opening.... Now it's useless :)

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

7. OK ... I think I got it, now.
    Thanks for the help!

8. John

John Well-Known Member

"It's a fictional product; it doesn't matter." [backtoschool/]

9. markvid

markvid Guest

I use to get those in grade school...
    Oh, that's wedgie.
    Carry on.